5" Zone lift questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum 360
Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with a noobie please. I have a 98 RAM 1500 and I'm currently running Nitto 33's on a 2" HBS level kit (no rubbing currently). I want to give it a better stance/clearance without going overboard(or making my 33's look too small), and I'm just not totally happy with how it is sitting currently. I do a good amount of off-roading (nothing serious like crawling, but I live in CO and do a quite a bit of rough trail driving, snow driving) but its my daily driver too so I want to maintain ride quality if not improve it with a suspension lift. I currently have a DT Pro Fab adjustable trac bar I installed and I'm thinking I want to go with ZONE off road's, 5" suspension lift kit. I have been pouring over forums for days now and it seems like the Zone is one of the best kits for the price tag (I'm a broke college kid). I also do not want to just do a body lift, im at 190k so I figure its a good time do replace coils, control arms, shocks, ect. However, I'm wondering how much this kit will improve the ride (on and off road), and how much it will actually do to lift the truck? any help is greatly appreciated.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
That kit uses rear lift blocks which is frowned upon. Since you already have an adjustable track bar you'd be better off piecing together your own 5" lift components.

EDIT: I just noticed it used a 5" block to replace the factory 3" block, but still you'd be better off with lift springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ColoradoCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum 360
Thanks BBartow, I did notice that, and I don't want to cause any wear by simply throwing a larger block in, however it does come with the add a leaf, does that not do anything to improve the suspension beside having the larger block? I'm unsure of how to lift the rear without buying a whole new leaf set which unfortunately is out of my price range... also, I'm thinking of going with nitro shocks over hydraulic, I've heard that nitro performs better even though the ride is a little stiffer, any advice here?

I like your idea of piecing together a lift instead of going with a kit, however I'm new to suspension lifts so the kit is appealing as it includes most of what I believe I need (although i know ill just have their trac bar bracket laying around afterwards) THANKS!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks BBartow, I did notice that, and I don't want to cause any wear by simply throwing a larger block in, however it does come with the add a leaf, does that not do anything to improve the suspension beside having the larger block? I'm unsure of how to lift the rear without buying a whole new leaf set which unfortunately is out of my price range... also, I'm thinking of going with nitro shocks over hydraulic, I've heard that nitro performs better even though the ride is a little stiffer, any advice here?

I like your idea of piecing together a lift instead of going with a kit, however I'm new to suspension lifts so the kit is appealing as it includes most of what I believe I need (although i know ill just have their trac bar bracket laying around afterwards) THANKS!

Stay away from stacked blocks, not a safe method to lift the rear. Get multiple add-aleaves or save and get lift leaves. You WILL cause axle wrap by stacking blocks. Shocks, bilstein 5100's, nuff said.

You will need new control arms, longer coil springs, longer front shocks, longer pitman arm, your adjustable track bar should be good for a track bar, leaves for the rear and longer rear shocks.