7" lift on 98 ram sport will this work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sportjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum v8
Im looking to do about 7" of lift on my 98 dodge ram sport. It has 3" rear blocks ill replace them with 5.5 blocks. Im picking up some 3inch lift skyjacker coils with the upper and lower control arms to go with and a deop pitman arm. I plan to put 2-2.5 spacers on the coils and do a 2inch body lift.

I know ill still need shocks, track bar drop bracket, and sway bar drop brackets. Am i missing anything? And can i do 2" body without cuting the shift linkage to lengthen it....

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My suggestion is to get 7" lift coils, 5" lift leaves and appropriate lift parts (front and rear shocks, track bar and pitman drop, sway bar drop) and skip the spacers, blocks and body lift. Seriously man just go with all suspension.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My suggestion is to get 7" lift coils, 5" lift leaves and appropriate lift parts (front and rear shocks, track bar and pitman drop, sway bar drop) and skip the spacers, blocks and body lift. Seriously man just go with all suspension.
agreed. It's a much better ride quality doing it this way. And you'd rather do it once correctly than twice just to save some money.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Im looking to do about 7" of lift on my 98 dodge ram sport. It has 3" rear blocks ill replace them with 5.5 blocks. Im picking up some 3inch lift skyjacker coils with the upper and lower control arms to go with and a deop pitman arm. I plan to put 2-2.5 spacers on the coils and do a 2inch body lift.

I know ill still need shocks, track bar drop bracket, and sway bar drop brackets. Am i missing anything? And can i do 2" body without cuting the shift linkage to lengthen it....

you gettin killer deal on 3" lift or something?
if the ca's are the same length as the ones for a 5" kit then yea piece it together if its affordable, other than that ide just go get a 5" kit

OP
OP

98sportjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum v8
Yea i did get a deal 50$ for new skyjacker 3" lift coils, upper and lower control arms, and a drop pitman arm. Truck has 3" blocks so gonna replace those with 5" ones. Then all i need is 2inch spacers up front and drop backets about 100$ in parts. The 2 inch body lift is just if i want to do it after im only trying to fit 35" tires

As far as ride goes i have 3 cars and drive 30 mins top to must places unless i go camping. It wont be driven daily

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea i did get a deal 50$ for new skyjacker 3" lift coils, upper and lower control arms, and a drop pitman arm. Truck has 3" blocks so gonna replace those with 5" ones. Then all i need is 2inch spacers up front and drop backets about 100$ in parts. The 2 inch body lift is just if i want to do it after im only trying to fit 35" tires

As far as ride goes i have 3 cars and drive 30 mins top to must places unless i go camping. It wont be driven daily

Ok but what you're missing is it doesn't work that way. You cannot use 3" coils + 2" spacers on 3" front lift parts. You need control arms for 5" lift and a drop pitman for a 5". Long arms recommended over short arms for better ride quality. You only need 5" lift for 35" tires. What gears do you have in your differentials?

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
prob 3.55's, he wont be hating it but 4.11s would be optimum imho

again, the ca's for 3" lift may very well be the same size as the 5" lift ones, and if thats the case then you will be fine i think

OP
OP

98sportjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum v8
Whats ca? And it has stock 3.55 thats why in going with 35s i dont plna to take it mudding or flexing it out lol i don't see 2" making alot of difference since i can go to 3" using stock part i should be fine adding 2 to a 3inch lift

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whats ca? And it has stock 3.55 thats why in going with 35s i dont plna to take it mudding or flexing it out lol i don't see 2" making alot of difference since i can go to 3" using stock part i should be fine adding 2 to a 3inch lift

control arms

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Control arms.

The control arms lengths are different between a 5" and 3" lift. They are not interchangeable. As I've always said with a lift do it right and once or don't do it at all. 3.55 is improper for 35's it will burn the transmission out in a 2nd gen. 4.10 minimum IMHO. Just do a 3" on 33's. Doesn't matter if you're just highway driving, its to much stress on the drive train.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Lifting the truck and not using the right length ca will move the diff back under the truck and will effect the front steering and suspension geometry. What Johnn123 has posted is 100% spot on same with the others that have posted the same info.

OP
OP

98sportjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum v8
People put 2inch spacers on stock ca's all the time specially the jeeps they do fine. The suspension will flex 2inches all day dont see how itll make that big of difference

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
People put 2inch spacers on stock ca's all the time specially the jeeps they do fine. The suspension will flex 2inches all day dont see how itll make that big of difference

YOU'RE NOT WORKING ON STOCK CA'S. YOU'RE WORKING ON A LIFTED APPLICATION. It has absolutely nothing to do with the suspension being able to flex 2". Things get different at 5" than at 3", lots of angles change that you can't stretch. Do it correctly or do not do it. There is a reason kits come with different parts for different sizes. Not to be rude, its just what you're trying to do is not safe for you or others.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
http://www.ramforum.com/f58/lift_basics_2nd_gen_4x4_rams-25153/

First I'd to apologize for not responding to messages. I don't hang around on forums much and threads like this are the reason.

You can't turn 6 into 9. So you can't make 3 inch lift parts into a functioning 7 inch lift.

I'm sure you can cowbilly one up but trying to enjoy driving it or using it off roading would be frustrating at best, dangerous at worse. The old thread link above discusses lifts up to 5 inches, and that's about the limit for the few cookie cutter lifts you can find for 2nd gens.

Magical engineering things happen after 5 inches of lift because of the way a stock Ram suspension/drivetrain is built. I use the turn magical sardonically here because some of you guys think you can thwart the pinheads, wizards and experienced shade tree wrenches by cobbling up something simply to impress your buds or some redneck chick. Don't fret. Once your magical mass of incorrect parts starts to destroy other components in your suspension like popcorn you'll trade or swap for another brand. The Gods help whoever you bless with your mechanical mayhem.

Done correctly with the right matched components, a 7 inch lifted ram is a thing of beauty to watch and drive. It rides like a luxo, handles almost Porsche like with the right tire rim combo, scrambles through mud like an alligator and cruises over rocks like a Tarantula. Drive shafts don't bind, tires NEVER touch sheet metal. The limiting factor is your differentials on a 1500. A D-44/9.25 combo was never meant to take the weight of a 37" or up tire. I don't care that you run them. The pinheads didn't build them that way...that's why they made 2500 and 3500 trucks with bigger diffs.

Lastly, only a couple of true believers in 2nd gens still build proper 7 inch long arm lifts. One is Danny at Dodge Offroad. He's been building big Rams before some of you were born. Yeah his lifts aren't cheap...but lifting a ram 7 inches the right way never was.

To the OP: make it easy on yourself...install a 5 inch lift with the correct parts, put 35's on, and don't ***** when your transmission shells or your already crappy mileage goes to complete shyte. If you don't woo the redneck chick you can spend the money you'll save on some decent gears.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum

First I'd to apologize for not responding to messages. I don't hang around on forums much and threads like this are the reason.

You can't turn 6 into 9. So you can't make 3 inch lift parts into a functioning 7 inch lift.

I'm sure you can cowbilly one up but trying to enjoy driving it or using it off roading would be frustrating at best, dangerous at worse. The old thread link above discusses lifts up to 5 inches, and that's about the limit for the few cookie cutter lifts you can find for 2nd gens.

Magical engineering things happen after 5 inches of lift because of the way a stock Ram suspension/drivetrain is built. I use the turn magical sardonically here because some of you guys think you can thwart the pinheads, wizards and experienced shade tree wrenches by cobbling up something simply to impress your buds or some redneck chick. Don't fret. Once your magical mass of incorrect parts starts to destroy other components in your suspension like popcorn you'll trade or swap for another brand. The Gods help whoever you bless with your mechanical mayhem.

Done correctly with the right matched components, a 7 inch lifted ram is a thing of beauty to watch and drive. It rides like a luxo, handles almost Porsche like with the right tire rim combo, scrambles through mud like an alligator and cruises over rocks like a Tarantula. Drive shafts don't bind, tires NEVER touch sheet metal. The limiting factor is your differentials on a 1500. A D-44/9.25 combo was never meant to take the weight of a 37" or up tire. I don't care that you run them. The pinheads didn't build them that way...that's why they made 2500 and 3500 trucks with bigger diffs.

Lastly, only a couple of true believers in 2nd gens still build proper 7 inch long arm lifts. One is Danny at Dodge Offroad. He's been building big Rams before some of you were born. Yeah his lifts aren't cheap...but lifting a ram 7 inches the right way never was.

To the OP: make it easy on yourself...install a 5 inch lift with the correct parts, put 35's on, and don't ***** when your transmission shells or your already crappy mileage goes to complete shyte. If you don't woo the redneck chick you can spend the money you'll save on some decent gears.

Good luck!
I feel like everyone who owns a truck that wants to lift should read this. Incredible post

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318

Good luck!

what you failed to realize is that he was combining a 2" body lift into the equation did you read it? so none of your information was helping him out.

anyways...

also his 9.25 rear IS infact adequate for 37" tires:baby: