After installing rough country 5 inch lift front axle half inch off to passenger cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seanram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I have done the lift and was just wondering if the allighnment will fix this half inch off the rear end problem! The lift gave me a bracket for the stock track bar. Any ideas of something that I have done is wrong? I can post pictures if you need them. My question is a alignment going to fix it or just waste my money?

keganhensley

Reaction score
Ram Year
none yet
Engine
none yet
Get an adjustable track bar

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
post some pics

your thread title says front axle off but description says rear end....kinda confusing

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If your front axle is shifted, you absolutely NEED an adjustable track bar.

BD Diesel makes a good one, Skyjacker does too. I don't know who all makes a good one.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You got the correct track bar mount? It should be the one that bolts to the factory track bar mount

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
An alignment will not fix axle tracking, its been mentioned a couple times, get an adjustable track bar.

However, if you value you tires, i'd at the very least get your alignment checked. On the 4x4 trucks the only value that needs to be touched is steer ahead and total toe. Total toe first, then steer ahead, or you'll be going back and forth trying to get it all in line.

A reputable shop will be able to do the alignment pretty easily even with a lift. Ask for a printout of the alignment,they all can do this unless the printer is broken, in which case get a picture. Do not leave without a copy of your before and after alignment.

Just an FYI, there are a couple things that some shops will do or forget when doing your alignment. You'll want to mention them or ask what their procedure is on the subject at the very least to remind them as some things are easy to forget.

Firstly and most importantly if you like a steering wheel straight ahead. When setting steer ahead you need to set the steering gearbox to the center of play to the best of your ability. otherwise you'll have the wheels steered from when you measured caster and the steering gear will be up against one side instead of in the middle of the dead zone. Moving the steering wheel left and right an equal amount and slowly reducing the amount of turn will set the gearbox pretty close to straight.

Second, If they tell you there is too much play in the steering wheel to align, but you drove it in and didn't crash, call them on their crap or find another shop, they either don't know what they're doing on an older solid front axle truck or are trying to sell you something you don't need.

If they say a part is bad, ask to see it, if they refuse, take it somewhere else. If they point out a rubber bushing and there are cracks that are no larger than 1/8th inch, they don't need to be replaced, if they are larger than 1/8th inch they have a point in saying they should be replaced, then its up to them if they want to do the alignment with it like that.

Wheels that are not standard or are of different tread design will not stop them from doing an alignment as long as they are the same tire size and rim design/style, the tires should all be inflated the same.

Hit the adjusting sleeve bolts with penetrating oil a couple hours or a day before taking it in, we all thank you. It may also prevent a gorilla from snapping them and making you buy new ones even though they should've used more heat + water.

Just pay attention, and remember if they have to think about their answers they likely aren't being truthful, and if something doesn't seem right, it might not be.

Just some tips to keep in mind, before I started working in the industry I had little knowledge of this part of it, and got ripped off a time or two because I didn't know better. One crappy alignment led to two lower control arms, outer tie rods then after that still didn't fix the issue a second alignment at another shop years ago on a trailblazer because I didn't know better.