All the pieces...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a buddy asking me many different questions about putting a 3" on his 01 4x4 1500.... He is looking into a kit like this: 3in Suspension Lift Kit for 94-01 Dodge 4wd 1500 Ram [370.20] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

But is wondering about pit arm, track bar and sway bar components that the kit is missing? Him and I have read through many different forums and topics about lifting these rams but haven't found one that says you needs x,x,x,x for 3" lift.

Can you guys give us some advice on what components (such as new track bar or track bar drop bracket) we should put on with the lift kit? Or is it easier/better to just piece the lift together( 3" coils, 1" AAL, shocks, etc)?

Thanks!

Also, he wants to continue to run 285/75/16' with the lift, will it look funny with the smaller tires? Look better to just do a 2" lift up front with new shocks and call it good? Advice please!!

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The po of my truck installed a 3in coil spacer and that was it. Lo and behold, when I bought the truck it had a slight dog leg due to the axle offset. I bought a track bar relocation bracket to fix that. It had 265s on it when I bought it and yes it looked kinda funny. 285s are better but my 305s fill up the wheel well nicely. I do wish I had another inch or two on the back to level the truck out a little.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For a 3" lift, I would go with 3" lift springs over a coil spacer. You can get away with stock control arms, but you need to something with the track bar. The stock one is 1/2"-3/4" to short. Get an adjustable bar set-up or a drop bracket. Pitman arm would be a good idea, longer front shocks as well. The truck will most likely sit level at 3" front, get a 1" AAL if you want a slight rake. 285/75/16 is the perfect tire for that set-up imo.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I have a 2.5 inch leveling lift kit. Im running 285's and they are just about the smallest I would go. As far as a 3 inch it really depends on the person. But as far as other components I did not get a track bar bracket. I got a whole new one but didnt relocate it. I also rebuilt the whole front end after the lift, u-joints, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, etc.

If I were you Id get a 2.5 inch and then get bigger tires if needed. The bigger tires will add a little height (not much but still). With a 3 inch you are looking at extending brake lines (most likely not but maybe) and other problems will arise. But its up to you ultimately.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 2.5 inch leveling lift kit. Im running 285's and they are just about the smallest I would go. As far as a 3 inch it really depends on the person. But as far as other components I did not get a track bar bracket. I got a whole new one but didnt relocate it. I also rebuilt the whole front end after the lift, u-joints, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, etc.

If I were you Id get a 2.5 inch and then get bigger tires if needed. The bigger tires will add a little height (not much but still). With a 3 inch you are looking at extending brake lines (most likely not but maybe) and other problems will arise. But its up to you ultimately.

How are the brakelines on your truck with the 2.5" lift? Also how did your stock coils do with the spacer lift on top of them? Would you recommend a new lift coil or does the spacer with the stock coils work just fine?

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
For a 3" lift, I would go with 3" lift springs over a coil spacer. You can get away with stock control arms, but you need to something with the track bar. The stock one is 1/2"-3/4" to short. Get an adjustable bar set-up or a drop bracket. Pitman arm would be a good idea, longer front shocks as well. The truck will most likely sit level at 3" front, get a 1" AAL if you want a slight rake. 285/75/16 is the perfect tire for that set-up imo.

Do they make pitman arm extensions for 2.5" or 3" lifts? New longer shock is a given:)

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
How are the brakelines on your truck with the 2.5" lift? Also how did your stock coils do with the spacer lift on top of them? Would you recommend a new lift coil or does the spacer with the stock coils work just fine?

Brake lines are fine. And the coil spacers are just fine for every day use of the truck. If your hard core off roading then maybe looking into new coils all together. The 2.5 kit comes with spacers and I think the 3inch and up is where they provide the new coil springs.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Brake lines are fine. And the coil spacers are just fine for every day use of the truck. If your hard core off roading then maybe looking into new coils all together. The 2.5 kit comes with spacers and I think the 3inch and up is where they provide the new coil springs.

Would it be a bad idea to throw the 2.5" spacer on the front and leave the back stock? some what of a pre runner look

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
No theres nothing wrong with that. Just check and see if you want it to look like that before you start the install.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
No theres nothing wrong with that. Just check and see if you want it to look like that before you start the install.

The truck has decent factory rake so lifting it 2.5" would only put it slightly higher than the rear.. to anyone's knowledge do they make a 1" AAL for our 2nd gens? I don't really like the idea of stacking blocks and the 2" AAL with the 2.5" would mostly like still have somewhat of a rake which I am trying to get rid of

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
2.5 spacer infront nothin inback=you be happy

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do they make pitman arm extensions for 2.5" or 3" lifts? New longer shock is a given:)

You can just get a longer pitman arm, TGC has a nice one at a good price.

Would it be a bad idea to throw the 2.5" spacer on the front and leave the back stock? some what of a pre runner look

Not at all, it would level the truck right out. I'm not sure if theres a 1" AAL but if its a leveled look you want I wouldn't bother with the rear.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
you mean a pitman arm like this?
Pitman Arm for Dodge 4wd 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Ram Pickup [6614] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

I can only find them for 3"+ lifts... would the pitman arm be too long for a 2.5" lift up front?

So as of now with the 2.5" lift: track bar extension, sway bar extensions and possibly the new pitman arm? What about control arms?

What about longer brake lines?

I appreciate the help guys! I'm just looking for a list of the parts that I need and should get to make it so I only have to mess with this one time!

Last edited:

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
you mean a pitman arm like this?
Pitman Arm for Dodge 4wd 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Ram Pickup [6614] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

I can only find them for 3"+ lifts... would the pitman arm be too long for a 2.5" lift up front?

So as of now with the 2.5" lift: track bar extension, sway bar extensions and possibly the new pitman arm? What about control arms?

What about longer brake lines?

I appreciate the help guys! I'm just looking for a list of the parts that I need and should get to make it so I only have to mess with this one time!

I didnt get any new parts for my 2.5 inch lift. I dont see why you would unless you just want to upgrade. The only reason I replaced mine is because they were really worn out.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
If you're just throwing a 2.5" level up front you don't need anything besides the spacer. Maybe shocks if you really want to. Track bar, sway bar brackets, lca's, pitman arm are for 3+".

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I didnt get any new parts for my 2.5 inch lift. I dont see why you would unless you just want to upgrade. The only reason I replaced mine is because they were really worn out.

does your front axel stick out further on one side because you kept the stock track bar without a drop bracket? Or is my thinking flawed? lol

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
If you're just throwing a 2.5" level up front you don't need anything besides the spacer. Maybe shocks if you really want to. Track bar, sway bar brackets, lca's, pitman arm are for 3+".

I plan on new shocks because mine are pretty worn but other than that, you wouldn't recommend getting anything else?? Not even a track bar drop bracket?

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
does your front axel stick out further on one side because you kept the stock track bar without a drop bracket? Or is my thinking flawed? lol

If it does neither me or anyone else notices it lol It still drives like it did when it was stock height.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

This.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I apologize for the million questions, just wanted to make sure I won't have to go back and buy something else after I slap on the spacer or break something like too short of brake lines lol