Anybody ever used or have lift 5000 bags on their 94-2001 ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My bags are shot I bought my truck with them on and they are rotted. Cracks everywhere and dont hold air. So my truck sags and it looks like $h!t. And does NOT help in the event of me towing something. I checked them out online and they look like a good buy?? Any opinions out there? Would greatly appreciate it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
From the pictures, they look like a decent product, however I have a passionate hate for airbags, I would sooner replace my suspension with wood than use airbags.

But these should work fine.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer the Firestone bags over the Airlift. Airlift have awesome bags if you pay the extra for the internal bump stop, but the cheaper ones priced competitively with the Firestone bags we have had warranty swaps for quite often.

If you go with an on board compressor and wireless or switched system, we prefer the Airlift systems more than Firestone. Just personal preference.

From the pictures, they look like a decent product, however I have a passionate hate for airbags, I would sooner replace my suspension with wood than use airbags.

But these should work fine.

So you'd rather die by doing something stupid than utilize common upgrade parts? There's absolutely nothing wrong with air bags.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
So you'd rather die by doing something stupid than utilize common upgrade parts? There's absolutely nothing wrong with air bags.[/QUOTE said:
I was exaggerating, besides, wood would work as long as you dont go very fast. I have used air bags in the past, never had luck with them. When I was working on semi's that was the most common problem, busted airbags. The fleet trucks would go through airbags like diesel fuel, it was so bad it was almost one bag per 4 hauls, given thats from Michigan to cali and back 4 times, but thats a lot of bags. Almost every single one was due to the tiniest of cracks along the top or bottom mount where they are subjected to the most suspension flex. We never had an occurrence where a single bag killed the tractors air system to the point it wouldn't release the brakes. However, not that it applies here, we had a few cases of muli bag failures that prevented the air pressure from building enough to release the trailer brakes.

I used helper springs over airbags. If you can show me a bag that is twice the thickness of a semi's bag, I might change my tune, until then I will never use one on my truck.

OP
OP
R

rammy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well a few people have said firestone over air lift. When I saw the pics they actually (looked) better quality even tho they look the same. Looks like firestone is my choice. Thanks.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
My truck has them...Only works with a hot wire on the compressor but the guage works and lets me release the air. Seems to hold air for a long time but haven't put a load on them yet..

mrbfy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360V8 5.9L
I installed some Firestone Bags before lifting.
I routed the lines to the rear license plate screw holes and then mounted license plate over them then nuts.
Keep a bicycle air pump in tool/bed box.
After lifting the truck I don't think they'll work out, due to there's too much area between spring and bags and I don't want to use cheaters.
So, I'll install them on wife's truck thats stock height.
They're awesome if used for loads. Not a great ride if you use them just to lift your truck.
I had to do that when I first got my truck or the rear would drag on the ground.
Got me home and to set in driveway till I replaced suspension and lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk