Coil Spacers and Add-A-Leaf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiannicc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys, I'm new here to RF and have a few questions you guys may be able to help me with. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Off-Road edition with a 5" Rough Country Suspension lift on 35's. I also have bushwhacker fender flares and unfortunately my tires rub slightly when cutting the wheel real hard. I would like to raise the truck a little bit to run bigger tires (maybe 38-40") and was looking for suggestions. Skyjacker has a 4" Add-a-leaf kit which sparked my interest. My questions about that are, because I have the 5" lift blocks in the back and the U-Bolts that came with the suspension kit, will that leave enough room for the add-a-leaf or would I have to buy new U-Bolts? Second if I don't need new U-Bolts would I have to get longer brake lines, or longer e-brake, etc? In the front I've been looking for a 4" coil spacer to match the 4" in the back. I've found a couple but my questions with that is, do I then have to adjust anything else? (Sway bar, tie rods, etc?) Or am I totally over thinking this and it is actually as simple as using the U-Bolts that came with the suspension kit as well as just mounting up the spacers in the front? Any info would be helpful. I am not set on it being 4" spacers. If 3" is much easier and can get away with having less parts, then I will do that. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
if you want to fit the bigger tires leave the rear alone
do you like the way it sits?
a body lift would be easier and cheaper by far if you dont mind body lifts
gearing is something you are going to want to be looking at also when going that big tire.
your offroad edition gives you 4.10s so thats cool, and fine for 35s.
if you dont mind 35's then a differnt wheel offset will fix your prob as well.
also going 38s on your front end will cause you to be spending more time/money keeping things working correctly up there.

if you do go up in tire size which you prob will, ide suggest what i did to run my 38's comfortably. (my sig)
no nrake line or ebrake mods either as you inquired about
all these big blocks and coil spacers you are talking about work and are the cheap way, but look and ride like hell. you will be over extending your control arms with your ideas and compromising your ride.

again think body lift imho

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
3in body lift, cheap n easy

I may not have the expertise to comment on body lifts but I've herd they can rust through the frame and you can shear the frame from the body when you do body lifts

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Ive had several trucks with body lifts, and never had a problem. Just have a professional shop install them so you can ***** if they do something wrong, tricky install to do right.