Dumb question about coil spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey everyone. I bring you a stupid question that i am purely curious about, i don't intend to do this. It kinda sounds dumb.

Anyway, RC has a 2" lift. It has an add-a-leaf plus coil spacers in the front to maintain a stock lean (2.5" lower in front) while being 2" higher than stock. What if someone wanted to install that but level it too? Could you put two 2.5" coil spacers on top of eachother and install it? Would you need a 5" extended shock on each side? How dumb does this sound?

Also, if you wanted to just level your truck, just coil spacers, do you need 2.5" extended shock? Does the shock even get any taller when a leveling kit is installed?

Thanks guys!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You can't stack leveling kits and you don't want to lift the front end more than 3" without doing a proper lift kit.

If you want to just level the truck put the 2.5" spacers on the front and leave the rear alone. If you want a 5" lift, look for a full lift kit... it's as simple as that.
You will want longer shocks for the 2.5" level. Bilstein would be a good brand to look at. I'd suggest getting an adjustable track bar to recenter the front diff and help prevent death wobble issues as well.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
You can't stack leveling kits and you don't want to lift the front end more than 3" without doing a proper lift kit.

If you want to just level the truck put the 2.5" spacers on the front and leave the rear alone. If you want a 5" lift, look for a full lift kit... it's as simple as that.
You will want longer shocks for the 2.5" level. Bilstein would be a good brand to look at. I'd suggest getting an adjustable track bar to recenter the front diff and help prevent death wobble issues as well.
Huh, okay. How would I go about adjusting this adjustable track bar?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You don't need longer shocks for just a level nor do you need an adjustable track bar. 3" and up is when things change and other parts are needed.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Huh, okay. How would I go about adjusting this adjustable track bar?

There are a few different styles. They either have an adjustable heim end on one side or an adjustment in the middle.

BD Diesel's is a good one to look at.

You don't need longer shocks for just a level nor do you need an adjustable track bar. 3" and up is when things change and other parts are needed.

You do if you want to maintain a decent ride and keep the geometry of the front suspension proper.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
If you really arent concerned with getting top notch parts Id just get rough countrys 2.5 inch leveling lift kit. Spacers in front, blocks in back 4 shocks all around. Its only like 250 and with everything your getting its a good deal. But if your looking for quality I wouldnt get this kit. But for what it is its just fine for normal everyday use. I have it on my truck and ive loved it so far. Its been almost a year since its been installed and no issues.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
If you really arent concerned with getting top notch parts Id just get rough countrys 2.5 inch leveling lift kit. Spacers in front, blocks in back 4 shocks all around. Its only like 250 and with everything your getting its a good deal. But if your looking for quality I wouldnt get this kit. But for what it is its just fine for normal everyday use. I have it on my truck and ive loved it so far. Its been almost a year since its been installed and no issues.
Cool, thanks. Its not like ill be slamming around in the woods 24/7, just looking for a bit more clearance. 50% looks 50% functionality.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Phew, okay. I was getting worried for a second.

I already solved my death wobble with new swaybar links and bushings.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There are a few different styles. They either have an adjustable heim end on one side or an adjustment in the middle.

BD Diesel's is a good one to look at.

You do if you want to maintain a decent ride and keep the geometry of the front suspension proper.

Not for this little lift sorry. I have just a few years doing this.

Op as I posted 3" and up things need to change and not by much at all.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
If thats the case then this kit will be just fine for you. Heres what it looks like: 2.5in Leveling Lift Kit for 94-01 Dodge 4wd 1500 Ram [362.20] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Its the same one I have.
You know, it'd be $200ish for new shocks all around anyway...guess im getting a bit of a deal here...i don't know how i feel about "maintains stock ride height" though. I kind of like the leveled look over stock. This kit doesn't give me that, but it does give me lift...
Guess ive got some deciding to do. I appreciate it!

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Wait, it says maintains ride QUALITY...and it says LEVELING right in the title...doh.

For replacing some suspension components AND getting a lift? That's a deal to me. Any pics of your rig?

These dont do the kit justice. It looks lower in the pics than in person. Just something to keep in mine. Im running 285/75/16's.

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0373.jpg
    IMAG0373.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
These dont do the kit justice. It looks lower in the pics than in person. Just something to keep in mine. Im running 285/75/16's.
I understand, my truck looks short in pictures.

Anywerds, I like it a lot. Im on 245 tires (about 31.8"). Thanks for the recommendation!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Nice little basic kit and a good price to boot.

Someone want to point out to me what in that kit helps maintain ride quality and geometry because all I see are shocks to help with that. No trackbar bracket, no lower control arms, no drop pitman arm. I would lay odds that the replacement shocks are the same length as the stock ones are.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks for that link. As for me, the previous owner said I have a 3in leveling kit. This kit says 2.5. How drastically would I see a difference? Plus, how would my 35 inch tires affect the kit because it says up to 33 inches?

Well Im not sure about 35's. However, my 33's are swimming in my wheel wells. I have room for a lot bigger but I dont wanna mess with gearing. I think its possible to run 35's without trimming etc but it may look really full in your wheel wells.

Are you wanting to get rid of your 3 inch and go to 2.5? Im confused.