First truck. Lift help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jared.gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a college student, just bought a 1999 ram 1500 single cab long bed 4x4. I do a lot of huntin and fishin so I want to make sure it can get me where I need to go. No serious offroading but I end up in mud during duck season, some rutted roads when I'm coyote hunting and snow during the rest of the year. I want a lift but other than some basic reading online, I don't know anything about them. I know about suspension, body, etc but just wondering what the most cost effective way of lifting my truck would be. Based off what I've seen, i'm thinking a 2.5" suspension with a 2" body lift as well. Any input is appreciated!

OP
OP
J

jared.gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to spend about 700 including installation

OP
OP
J

jared.gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on. I've got cash but I just had no idea what the cost would be. I'd be willing to put 1100 into it I suppose.I'd still need tires and whatnot aftterwards haha but I can figure that out. I'll check into those sites. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
J

jared.gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No way!?!! That's great thanks! It'll probably be within the next two weeks. I'll keep you updated and thanks again!

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not just level it and put some good tires?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not busting your balls scott...just posing a question.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. What size tires are you looking to run after you lift it?

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
2" suspension and then add the 3" body

would be plenty for what you are looking to do. maybe even 2" body, but it isn't much difference in price.

and an easy install as well.

with 35" tires

any taller in tires, you would def need to regear.

if you do plan to re gear, I would suggest a lunchbox locker in the front axle. the advantage of it is amazing, when you need it. they are about $250 plus install. (but easy to install)

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome fellow 2nd gen!! I agree with everyone else. If you can do it yourself you can save a lot of money. A lift on these trucks isn't horrible to do anyway. Front is a solid axle so usually to lift that you will use longer springs and some new hardware. Depending on how hig will depend on how much you replace. I am running a 2.5 inch level and will be tucking 33"s. I could do 35"s but want to keep the flex for getting in and out of ditches without rubbing. None the less you could do a level for around 200 and then get tires. Less headache and you can always upgrade. I would start with a level and see how you like it. If it isn't enough then go with a full lift with springs and all that. But to just get to the blind I say a level and some good tires will serve you well. I also reccomend getting new shocks when you do this.