front drivshaft vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vettedoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500
Engine
5.9 gas
Hello Everyone.I have a 2002 2500.As you know for the 2002 model year dodge did away with the front axle disconnect and the front driveshaft turns all the time. Anyhow when I first got the truck the u-joints were bad in the front driveshaft so it vibrated on the hwy bad. I had the u-joint done and the driveshaft balanced. I reinstalled it and it was way better but not smooth as glass.I chalked it up to that the driveshaft turned all the time. Last week I leveled the front 2 inches. On the test drive I noticed the vibration was back at around 60-70 mph.I took the shaft back out and drove it and it was back to normal. The lift kit was only spacers since it was only 2inches(no arms)and it has a double u-joint at the transfer case side so I figure it should be canceling any angle issues out. If anyone has any Ideas I would love to hear from you.I cant help but wonder if it has anything to do with that shaft turning all the time.

OP
OP
V

vettedoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500
Engine
5.9 gas
Ok.So obviously the front drive angle is changed. I talked to an alignment shop and they told me that because I have a 2.5 inch lift up front he wont be able to get the angle right with an alignment and I need longer arms. He said if it was only 2inches I would be fine. Can anyone confirm this?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Try PMing Merc225hp. If anybody would know he would.

I know on 1500s it shouldn't be an issue. 3" and up is when you gotta start adding longer parts. 2500s do sit higher though so i can't be sure.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am unsure if the 2500 4wd has the same control arms stock as a 1500. If they are than yes you're going to need a few things to deal with the added height of the leveling spacer, which could be causing your vibration.

edit: Yes they are the same c-arm. So since a 2500 sits higher stock than a 1500 on the same control arm due to a higher rate front coil, a leveling spacer is going to uncenter your axle and cause the vibration. Your options are to either get longer appropriate length control arms, and other appropriate lift parts for the added height or remove the leveling spacers. With the spacers you should be looking at 5" lift parts. Either option will alleviate the vibration from your truck.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As posted you need longer lower control arms,