I need a new steering stabilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
guys im in the market for a new steering stabilizer.....wondering here what everyone is running on there trucks

ive looked at rough country, bds and rancho....

right now im leaning towards bds, but Im wondering If you guys can give me some good honest reviews to help me out

right now im running 34" tall MTZ tires on a leveling kit.....I shouldn't need to run 2 stabilizers

lets here what you have to say....:)

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If you feel the need to blow a $100 or so get the Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer for the 3rd gen trucks. If I was ever to put one back on thats what I would go with, but I have zero need for one so I will spend that $100 on better things.

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am assuming you are talking about the steering damper that mounts to the inner tie rod if that's the case why are you looking for a new one if you don't mind me asking I know a lot of dodge owners that buy these to fix loose steering and nothing change these dampers are suppose to "help" with bump steer and that's about it.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I am assuming you are talking about the steering damper that mounts to the inner tie rod if that's the case why are you looking for a new one if you don't mind me asking I know a lot of dodge owners that buy these to fix loose steering and nothing change these dampers are suppose to "help" with bump steer and that's about it.

yes I call them different, but yes its the "shock" that's mounted horizontal in the front of your truck

the reason I need a new one is very simple, I was underneath my truck washing the road grime off and I noticed it was rusted thru.

My truck doesn't wobble or have any sterring issues at all, just want to replace a rusted out unit.

It has about a dime size hole in the outer casing....works fine but I cant have that rusty thing on my truck (im picky)

just looking for a good replacment

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see well when I rebuilt my front suspension I got a KYB damper both AutoZone and O'Reilly have them for about 50 bucks they have cheaper ones I wouldn't invest too much money in one when I swapped my y steering for a t setup it didn't have the provision for the shock so I drove without for a while but finally went and got a bracket to mount it but it didn't really change anything but the KYB I got is nice came with a bellow and had it for a year now no rust leaking or binding.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I see well when I rebuilt my front suspension I got a KYB damper both AutoZone and O'Reilly have them for about 50 bucks they have cheaper ones I wouldn't invest too much money in one when I swapped my y steering for a t setup it didn't have the provision for the shock so I drove without for a while but finally went and got a bracket to mount it but it didn't really change anything but the KYB I got is nice came with a bellow and had it for a year now no rust leaking or binding.

good to know, im looking at a couple different ones at the moment....all seem to be about the same price

I see a lot of people are running dual setups, well I know that I don't need that.

I just want to replace the worn out one I have....

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just take it off, and dont replace it. You wont notice its gone. I promise.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I blew mine out about a month ago replaced it with a rancho I got from NAPA and I'm very happy with it.