Lift like the "Off-Road" Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I have a 97 Ram, 1500, 4x4, ext-cab, short-bed. I would like it to sit like the "Off-Road" version of these trucks. About a 2" lift? Would like to do it in a sensible manner. What parts would I need? Thank you.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I were you, I'd get v10 springs and 3/4 ton blocks for the rear. Your truck should sit as high as an offroad edition then. They come factory with a 2" lift and do use a 3/4 ton block in the rear. Up front we've got stiffer front springs, same height as a regular rams springs, just ours are so stiff it doesn't drop down nearly as much :D Replace the blocks, don't stack them. Don't ever stack blocks, much to unsafe. You could go with add-a-leafs in the rear too and gain some extra weight capacity.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
http://www.ramforum.com/f58/lift_basics_2nd_gen_4x4_rams-25153/

If you want an "off road lift" and the wierd rake of an off road, buy a set of off road springs.
I'd guess a 2 inch front spring and a 3 inch AAL would give you the same effect.
Don't waste your money on V-10 springs, and a 3/4 ton block if off a heavy duty is setup for 3 inch wide leaf springs. Your 1500 springs are 2.5 inches wide.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
http://www.ramforum.com/f58/lift_basics_2nd_gen_4x4_rams-25153/

If you want an "off road lift" and the wierd rake of an off road, buy a set of off road springs.
I'd guess a 2 inch front spring and a 3 inch AAL would give you the same effect.
Don't waste your money on V-10 springs, and a 3/4 ton block if off a heavy duty is setup for 3 inch wide leaf springs. Your 1500 springs are 2.5 inches wide.

Offroad springs, as I posted before, are not lift springs. They simply have a higher compression rate and can handle more weight, which gives the "lift" in the front. Why the hate on the rake? It has a function, its so your nose isn't skyrocketing when loaded down.... V10 springs would give just as much lift, if not more and would be much easier to find. Yes you can use 3/4 ton blocks.... Thats what the offroad editions use! Its just a 3" block.

Howells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
The offroad editions use the same block. They have an aal installed. Front spring are the same just stiffer as mentioned. I bought an offroad edition as a parts truck. Its blocks were the same as my 99 sport non offroad. It did have an extra leaf in the leaf pack that gave it more lift.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The offroad editions use the same block. They have an aal installed. Front spring are the same just stiffer as mentioned. I bought an offroad edition as a parts truck. Its blocks were the same as my 99 sport non offroad. It did have an extra leaf in the leaf pack that gave it more lift.

Interesting, I've always been under the impression thats what they used to lift the rear. Mine came with extra aal's already so I'm not sure. I've never heard of them coming with aal's to lift though. It was for sure an offroad edition? Wasn't just the tail gate with decal put on the truck?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There is so much weird crap circulating about ORE trucks....

Just do a 2.5 in lift in the front with a 2.5 or 3 in add-a-leaf in the rear. BOOM. The perfect stance for these trucks.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Offroad springs, as I posted before, are not lift springs. They simply have a higher compression rate and can handle more weight, which gives the "lift" in the front. Why the hate on the rake? It has a function, its so your nose isn't skyrocketing when loaded down.... V10 springs would give just as much lift, if not more and would be much easier to find. Yes you can use 3/4 ton blocks.... Thats what the offroad editions use! Its just a 3" block.

Obviously you've never worked with off roads...I've lifted a couple or so in my time. Oh and I have cast off off road springs on my truck WITH the factory rear block my truck came with. BTW I don't consider myself the expert on off roads, but I've done a fair bit of research over the last 13 years to debunk the myths.

I don't hate the rake...but I'm entitlled to my opinion. It looks over lifted in the back. I degress.

Here's WHY you don't want to use v-10 or cummns springs in a 1500. These springs were designed for trucks with heavier engines. As you stated...off road springs are higher compression devices. So are v-10 and cummins springs. Therein lies the issue.

Springs also have to have a bit of preload or "pre compression" built in when the truck is at curb weight. Otherwise they would not work properly. Putting such springs in a V-8 1500 doesn't allow them to compress properly and can make the ride skittish and dangerous on certain surfaces, because they in an almost unloaded condition. Even off road springs compress as the truck is lowered onto the tires.

Don't try and cheat the engineers! Buy the proper springs and suspension components and do it right.

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't try and cheat the engineers! Buy the proper springs and suspension components and do it right.

Quote for Truth! :Jedi: Turns out they don't make thousands of dollars for designing non-functional setups. As mentioned, sure you'll get the lift from stiff coils, but at what cost? Do it up right!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Obviously you've never worked with off roads...I've lifted a couple or so in my time. Oh and I have cast off off road springs on my truck WITH the factory rear block my truck came with. BTW I don't consider myself the expert on off roads, but I've done a fair bit of research over the last 13 years to debunk the myths.

I don't hate the rake...but I'm entitlled to my opinion. It looks over lifted in the back. I degress.

Here's WHY you don't want to use v-10 or cummns springs in a 1500. These springs were designed for trucks with heavier engines. As you stated...off road springs are higher compression devices. So are v-10 and cummins springs. Therein lies the issue.

Springs also have to have a bit of preload or "pre compression" built in when the truck is at curb weight. Otherwise they would not work properly. Putting such springs in a V-8 1500 doesn't allow them to compress properly and can make the ride skittish and dangerous on certain surfaces, because they in an almost unloaded condition. Even off road springs compress as the truck is lowered onto the tires.

I own an offroad so don't tell me I've never worked with them. Fair enough on the rake, personal preference is generally the reason for getting rid of it. A magnum v10 weighs approx 650ibs (#6--- Engine Weights) while the 360 magnum weighs about ~550ibs. I suppose technically you are correct, but with that weight difference I wouldn't be worried about it. Cummins springs may be overkill though. My opinion. I've seen MANY people run v10 springs on half tons no issue. If that concerned grab 2500 360 springs or aftermarket, problem solved and still lifted. This is actually the first time I've seen people opposed to it...

My two cents

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Not to debate a point but the iron block v-10 for trucks is about 816-836 using hughes chart. If that's the case I'd guess you wouldn't get much lift off a V-10 spring and even less if they only weighed about 650. I've never seen V-10 springs recommended...cummins springs yes.
I'm glad you have an off road. It's the best 1500 Dodge has built. It suprised me that you would think the factory blocks are different. That's what threw me. HD 2500's would use 3 inch wide spring.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not to debate a point but the iron block v-10 for trucks is about 816-836 using hughes chart. If that's the case I'd guess you wouldn't get much lift off a V-10 spring and even less if they only weighed about 650. I've never seen V-10 springs recommended...cummins springs yes.
I'm glad you have an off road. It's the best 1500 Dodge has built. It suprised me that you would think the factory blocks are different. That's what threw me. HD 2500's would use 3 inch wide spring.

Can pm if ya wish to debate and not clutter the thread, I`m always interested to hear others opinions and information on stuff :)

It really is, I like it. I`ve always seen they use a larger block, least thats what I had seen in the past. Shows how reliable the internet is lol. Do you have any links to true offroad edition information? And yup, why the rear 60/70 isn't a direct swap to a 1500. If i've been informed right they're stiffer spring so they ride harder then a 1500 does.

OP
OP
W

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hi. O.P here. I'm afraid to ask if you guys have settled this yet? I don't do much O-R in the truck, but I like the stance. I'd like to accomplish it with factory components, a well-tested aftermarket product, or a combination.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hi. O.P here. I'm afraid to ask if you guys have settled this yet? I don't do much O-R in the truck, but I like the stance. I'd like to accomplish it with factory components, a well-tested aftermarket product, or a combination.
Don't worry about them. ;)

Answer is down here for the most part VVV
There is so much weird crap circulating about ORE trucks....

Just do a 2.5 in lift in the front with a 2.5 or 3 in add-a-leaf in the rear. BOOM. The perfect stance for these trucks.
Some might disagree with me, but that's the cheapest way to get the stance.

hotrod88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just to stir the pot up. I just got my dodge for a work truck out here on the pipeline and it gets pretty rough out here so trying to beef it up a little. So the jury is out on if using Cummins springs are a good idea. Me personally I was thinking about em as I have plans to put a heavy duty front bumper and figured that would help holding the extra weight. What do y'all think?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So just to stir the pot up. I just got my dodge for a work truck out here on the pipeline and it gets pretty rough out here so trying to beef it up a little. So the jury is out on if using Cummins springs are a good idea. Me personally I was thinking about em as I have plans to put a heavy duty front bumper and figured that would help holding the extra weight. What do y'all think?

Get the 2500 v8 springs or ORE springs or appropriate lift springs. V10 springs would work too.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Here's some information I've researched over the last decade or so. To put this in perspective when young John123 was 8, I'd purchased my 2nd 2nd gen Ram (this 2000 isn't my first) John when you were 10 I'd torn apart and lifted at least two off roads, and a V-10 truck. By the time you'd hit puberty I've added a few more Ram lifts to my resume' and spent countless hours on 5 or 6 other forums expressing opinions and comparing notes. While others moved on to newer rides, I've kept mine going.

I can't discern or wax eloquently about the finer points of wiring problems or engine mods (and don't) I feel I do have some knowledge of suspensions gleaned from cutting, burning and bolting.

If you simply want to disagree with me that's fine...you're welcome to. I'd recommend stepping outside the box of your own truck and digging in. Come back and talk to me in a few years. If I'm still coherent and not in a home I'll listen. Or I'll just be leaning back in a chair drooling :). Either way you win, ok?

Now onto this...written by me and gleaned from another forum...

One of the more talked about subjects with 2nd genners is whether their 4x4 truck is an off road, off road sport, sport or what.

I believe that one thing that most 2nd genners can agree on is that a "sport" model is an appearance package only. It doesn't have anymore lift, power, or performance than a standard Ram. Color matched bumpers (or a Urethane front valance on 2000.5 up trucks) and interior upgrades are it's only claim to fame.

Off Road rams are a different breed. The "off roadster" was designed to be the ultimate half ton off road vehicle. They were only produced between 2000 and 2001. There were no diesel engined off roads so any 2500 or larger chassis is a fake.

Luckily there are a couple of dead giveaways to any off road ram. The first are two extra casting "ears" on the lower corners of the the front Dana 44 differential housing. No other rams or for that matter Dodge trucks of any era have these. These are easily spotted when looking under the front of the truck.

The other dead giveaway is the gas tank skid plate. The transfer case skid plate is an option any 4x4 owner could get as part of a hd package, but only the off roadster covers the tank. All rams should've come with these...believe me!

What else makes an off road ram. Contrary to urban legend...these trucks did NOT come with lift spacers or Cummins diesel springs from the factory. Off road rams came with "special high rate springs" front and rear that lifted the ram. Removed from off roads, the springs have the same length and arch as standard ram springs, but the extra stiffness (higher rate) increases height over a stock Ram. Nothing trick there. Just heat 'em and quench a bit differently. BTW, I have off road ram springs on my ram...and have lifted other off roads as well. Even the factory rear blocks are off the standard ram. They are NOT longer as some urban legends suggest. More on that in a moment. Lastly, special shocks were fitted and 265/17 Wranglers with 17x8 cast rims finished the package, along with the HD front sway bar.

Lastly...Offroadsters come with 136 amp alternators, HD battery, Trans cooler and Power steering coolers. Yes, many were sold with sport trim and upgraded interiors. They could be powered with either the 5.2 or 5.9 gas engine, and I have heard that 5 speeds could be had with the 5.2. Another unique powertrain feature is the 4:10 gears standard. Again, no non off road ram 1500 came with anything lower than a 3:92 ratio.

Finally my favorite line is..."no one makes a lift for my offroad" Well yes and no. ALL lifts fit an off road. Yes they do. The problem is, you may lose lift because...lifts are measured with a standard ram.

Let me try to explain. You want to put a 5 inch lift on your off road. The 5 inch lift made by Rough Country says it won't work. Yes it will...BUT...it will only lift your ram about 2 inches over it's stock heigth. It will be 5 inches over a non off road. So if you want to lift your off road 5 inches over its STOCK heigth, you'd need a 7 inch lift. Make sense? Keep reading this until it does. 8)

Conversely, if you want your off road to be 5 inches higher than a non off road ram...add a set of 3 inch spacers, longer control arms and track bar bracket from a 5 inch lift. You may need an add a leaf for the rear but AALS still lift off road rear packs. Your "off road" will now sit 5 inches higher than a non off road. BTW, this is the same setup I run on my non off road.

As a bonus here's an actual offroad off-road test from June of 2000. Note this is 318 truck and a non sport. Enjoy!

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT - Dodge V8 Magnum - Off Road Magazine

Last edited: