Lifted 98 RAM RWD HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomvpr79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
been a long time since I have posted anything! I have a couple questions, and cannot seem to find a definitive answer. Here we go...

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with a leveling kit and a 3" body kit running 35" tires. The truck looks great but drives like hell!! SMH! You feel all the bumps and the steering feels loose (constantly have to correct, to keep it straight) I just replaced the shocks and had it aligned and that helped a tad, but it seems to bounce quite a bit (at least it is not jarring anymore) and the steering seems loose. It is just nowhere near as smooth as it was pre lift.

The problems that I am aware of are..
-Needs upper and lower Ball Joints
-Need pitman arm replaced

Both of those problems could cause the ride quality to be poor, I know. My question is, I read about the angles are probably off on my tie rods and front end suspension. But I always thought the body lifts didn't hurt any of that (outside of shifter rod). Is there anything I should do or look for regarding the angles?
I figured since I was going to replace the pitman arm and ball joints I would go ahead and replace the tie rods, tie rod ends, idler arm, and control arm bushings (maybe sway bars too, just depends on the cost of everything). Any suggestions on what else should be replaced? What are your thoughts on replacing the whole control arm with pre installed ball joints? I read that the control arm bushing could cause poor drive quality and if I am going to replace them I might as well go ahead and replace the control arm? Should I replace both upper and lower? From a financial standpoint not sure I can afford both control arms, which would be better to replace with a new? Not sure which takes more abuse.
If I cannot afford to do all of this, what would you replace and in what order? Keep in mind the pitman arm and ball joints will be replaced no matter what.
BTW-Planning on going all MOOG, any other suggestions on brands?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tom

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Body lifts don't touch suspension components. I'm not sure what leveling kit you have, or how much it lifts. But i'd check out threads and do some google searched for the "Death Wobble" its a common issue for 2nd Gen trucks, and its only made worse with big tires and lifts.

As far as control arms go, unless their damaged, just replace the bushings. After I replaced all 4 of my ball joints, everything except the toe was perfect, but the toe was way out already. So you can replace the ball joints without harming the alignment too much.

If you're going to touch the control arm bushings (only necessary if they are cracked or damaged) you'll have to get it aligned again.

You can replace the pitman and idler arms without needing an alignment afterwards. As long as you measure or count threads, you won't need an alignment after replacing tie rods.

OP
OP
T

tomvpr79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks dudeman! I'm aware of the death wobble, and luckily for me my problem is not that. I have probably over exaggerated how bad the ride quality is. Pretty much I just feel every nook and cranny in the road.

Regarding the leveling kit, it is a 2" Day star Comfort Ride kit, and my 3" body lift is made by Performance Accessories.

I double check my rods, but I'm pretty sure they are not cracked, but all my bushings and sleeves on my front end are dry rotted looking and cracked.

Just to make sure I'm clear, you really don't see any reason in replacing anything outside of what is needing to be replaced and maybe the bushings (as long as the rods are not cracked)?

One of the reasons I thought about replacing the rods was because I was going to have to remove them in order to replace the bushings, plus they are not horribly expensive!

Thanks again!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If the part is cheap enough, you can go ahead and replace it if you want. But if its still good, there is no NEED to replace it.

Jack the front up and set it on jack stands, then go underneath and check everything by hand or with a pry bar.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I fixed all my front end steering components and ball joints for a fairly cheap price from partstrain.

As dude man said check everything with a pry bar or some channel locks, the ball joints, control arms, tie rods, should not wobble up and down, or have any play.

Also you have the level kit, did you put lift shocks on?