Need advice on replacement parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking to replace the tie rods and ball joints on my ram. I'm also ordering a lifted suspension version steering box brace from kevinsoffroad.com and possibly a hard-kor super-hard durometer bushings kit for my track bar. I'd like to upgrade my track bar to a sturdier off road track bar. My question is what brand of tie rods and ball joints are good for lifter vehicles with oversize tires? Also track bars. Keep in mind I have about 9 inches of lift and 38 inch tires. Any advice is much appreciated!

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of people will tell you MOOG, but their name isn't what it used to be... I've used NAPA parts on my stock truck and they've long outlasted the MOOGs on my buddy's old truck, and mine was put through a lot more abuse in the woods. His has 7.5" of lift and 39" tires, mine is leveled on 33s.

Sent from my pathetically slow iPhone

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured they'd have a off road or performance style product but I can't seem to find anything except for these 800 dollar steering upgrade kits. I don't have the money for that. If napa parts will handle the beating I'll use them but figured I'd see what everyone else uses.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ lol this guy...

I mean, I've had my truck where lifted jeeps have a hard time getting through. I just pushed the skinny pedal til she was about to blow.... Not so proud of that considering I just redid my entire front end last week because of it... Everybody's using ****** parts though anymore unless you spend big time money... Honestly, duralast has a lifetime warranty on a lot of their parts... I'd just go there and just change them once a year. Lol

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I had the money I'd do an axle swap in a heartbeat but I'm kinda stuck with the stock setup right now. Lol just trying to beef up the parts that count right now.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Replace 'em when they wear out and save your pennies for a D60 swap front and rear. Merc225hp can attest to the fact that a wheeling truck running 35s will chew through axle u-joints, hubs and ball joints quickly.

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Axle swaps will defiantly be a mod soon to come! As far as the duralast parts. I've always been forbidden to buy their mechanical parts because of quality. If it were a little beater I'd be more hesitant to put their name on that vehicle but I'm looking for a quality brand that can live up to their name and give me a durable part built for off road vehicles. Hate to admit it but this truck is mostly a grocery getter but when I do decide to hit the trails I want to know that I can trust what's under my rig.

zpaulis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I recently bought a heavy duty trac bar from DOR.. It's a night a day difference on my truck now.. I believe they also carry some heavy duty ball joints now made by synergy but there pretty expensive.. For your steering I'd save up a little and by the 98.5+ T style steering off a 3/4 ton.. I had all the part numbers a while ago, added up to about 500$. Pm me if u can't find them. Definitely look into that trac bar though it tightened my truck up quite a bit. I'm at 8" lift btw

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have used both Napa and Moog front end parts in the 44, I have to say Moog lasted longer than the Napa parts did. For u-joints look at genuine spicer parts or better.

So what both you guys are 8"+ plus using just suspension lift or ?

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
when i had my chevy, the dealership actually used moog parts for the balljoints, and pitman arm. said they were higher quality than even the ac/delco dealer parts.

i'm sold on moog if the dealerships use it instead of THEIR parts

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok... So I got everything I need today. Luckily I was right in front of the shop I'm getting the work done at because my passenger side ball joint about gave out. What a scare! I also ordered a spohn steering box brace to help out with the slack in the steering. Thanks for all the info guys! Hopefully my truck will be finished tomorrow and I will give y'all a update on how it handles. Hopefully no more bounce and shake.

zpaulis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I'm at 5" suspension 3" body merc.. For now

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what both you guys are 8"+ plus using just suspension lift or ?[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew what height my lift was. I'm guessing 6 inches but it looks like more. May just be because of the 3 inch body lift. Is there a way to tell what lift you have?

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what both you guys are 8"+ plus using just suspension lift or ?

I wish I knew what height my lift was. I'm guessing 6 inches but it looks like more. May just be because of the 3 inch body lift. Is there a way to tell what lift you have?[/QUOTE]

Park next to a stock truck and measure the coils, not perfect but it'll give you a rough idea. Lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I wish I knew what height my lift was. I'm guessing 6 inches but it looks like more. May just be because of the 3 inch body lift. Is there a way to tell what lift you have?

Get out a tape measure and measure from the ground to the lip of the fender well. Post up your findings and we will help you figure it out.

OP
OP
99jackedram

99jackedram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get out a tape measure and measure from the ground to the lip of the fender well. Post up your findings and we will help you figure it out.

30 inches from ground to bottom of fender well. I'm thinking it's a 6 inch super lift and 3 inch body lift. What's funny is I was worried about 38s fitting and I still have plenty of room. I had a guy at orileys ask me if those were 33s. Lmao. A little bigger than that I said.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Sadly they don't have off road upgrades. I would tell u to use Napa parts and if u do hub assemblys go with precision brand at orileys. Tennessee off road and essentially off road here in tn told me that's all they use. Is Napa, Moog, and precision. I personally don't like Moog on lifted trucks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk