Project Whatever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
G'day, This is the Build Thread of my '97 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9 V6 2WD. Yes I know why sink money in to a V6 2WD that isn't even that good of shape you dummy? Welp it's my first truck and if I told you how much I paid. You'd think I was crazy. But it's easier than my car on gas, I love the look of a 2nd Gen Dodge, and It's motivation to quit smoking. Mayswell spend my dollars on something more rewarding than cancer haha.

So anyway I bought the truck 10/24/16.
UG16Ayzl.jpg
When I had gotten there buddy was trying to boost it, but it wasn't making volts. So I hooked it up to my car and we got it to turn over but talk about a fussy ***** to start when it's cold, holy Jesus. After I got it to run for more than 5 seconds my buddy noticed the alternator was seized up solid. So we dicked around with a pair of those useless adjustable pliers, the kind that never stay on the same adjustment slot, and finally we got it to roll back and forth a few times. Cranked it over and a big puff of dust and rust and such and it was spinning like a new one, Charging like a son of a *****.
uDdi81xh.jpg i5kL9Flh.jpg KTZWFVMh.jpg
The drive home was no fun at all, I had known it needed a few things for Inspection but it was treacherous. Broken belt in the tire caused it to hop like one of them low rider rigs, the frame was rotted by the sway bar (which had broke free from the frame) and I couldn't keep it straight if my life depended on it (Even though it kinda did). So I got it about 10 minutes from home and being a smartass I wanted to see if it'd peel, I stopped at the usual corner everyone around swings circles at and such, Left foot brake, Mashed the gas annndddd nothing but pitiful groans from the tired 315XXX kms 3.9 Magnum V6. After I pulled into my gate I noticed the brake pedal had become reeaaallll soft, upon further inspection I blew both rear brake lines somehow in 10 minutes. I did the appropriate thing and did some proper, smokey, over revving, one wheel peels up and down my street for a decent hour or so.
Y5NWsv6l.jpg kwyT1pa.jpg JHyaVuE.jpg xX0zQku.jpgF4VOMwWl.jpg iqpCrxy.jpg
Then the truck sat for a few days and today I finally replaced the Brake lines so I figured the build has begun!

Inspection:
Frame Patch (Done)
Cab Mount Patch (Done)
2 Rear Shocks
Brake Pads and Shoes
Brake Lines (Done)
Speed Sensor
1 Tire (Done)

Last edited:

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I've always liked the 2nd Gen trucks. I have an 01. If I could afford a 3rd Gen or newer I'd have one of them, but you make do with what you can. Yours looks pretty fair, it's got potential, so I hope you stick with it.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Yeah I love any Dodge really, But it was very cheap and who knows it just may get a 318 or a 5.9 Swap soon.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Everybody says that about us guys that spend as much as we do on these. **** em lol build what you want.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Yeah spend em while ya got em! But it's so hard to find an actual lift kit for a 2WD, everybody says why lift a 2WD get a 4x4. My brother had a 90's Half ton Chev 2WD and made it further than a newer style 4x4 in the Mudhole we all go to. As long as you have posi and know how to drive you can make it just as far as a 4x4 in my opinion hahaha

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Maxtrac and Doetsch tech make some stuff, coils, spindles, shackles, etc. Fabtech may or may not still make spindles, I don't remember.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Yeah even just a 4" Up Front and 2" or 2.5" in the Back would be sufficent. I've got a basic idea of what's gonna get done but I don't wanna get too far ahead of myself. Even though a Build Thread is pretty far ahead hahaha. Went on a Junkyard run and bought an almost nand new tire for it today, also found some goodies I want like a Steering Wheel (Mines just about Kerfuckled), Seats w/ Centre Console, Headliner, annddd I found a low mile 5.9 Magnum that had a 5 Speed with it today too. I was excited till I figured up how much work it'd be. No wires for anything (They strip them for the copper) Only 1 ECU out of 12 2nd Gen 5.9's and I Have no idea if it's worth a ****, I'd have to take out the Motor and Trans myself, Driveline, Rear End, etc. But it's not out of the woods yet, I don't like a V6 anything hahaha. But that's where I'm at for now, didn't patch anything today either too lazy :disgust:

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Project Whateverthafuck

Update?! Update! So I got the frame patched and a few holes patched (mainly the plugs where they oil the floors rotted out) and I bought a used tire and threw it on fully expecting my hop to go away, and it turns out The tire wasn't the issue, I'm dumb as **** and in hindsight there's no way a broken belt would make a truck hop and shake that bad. KLwIaQbh.jpg vQqjhbuh.jpg
I mean it's ******* TERRIBLE! But I have no clue what it could be so if anyone knows or has an idea please oh please let me know, it's ******* terrifying. Also might do a quick coat of spray paint across my hood, it's sun damaged so bad it's gross

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
It seems like suspension, passenger side front, and it bounces the whole front end almost off the ground. I have no idea what it even could be, it only happens when I hit two or three potholes in a row or a fair sized bump going over like 65 km/h (Canadian Roads are BRUTAL)

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Hahaha uhh no... :pp: I've been sneaking back and forth to work with it cause my cars ****** but I finally found a 3" lift from Doetsch Tech, comes with their pre runner 8000s or whatever, such a pain in the ass. I also found some 18x9 Ballistic Rims and 33x12.5 Tires so now it's just a grind to scrape the money to get them. Trucks going for inspection tomorrow so hopefully I can have it all legal by the 1st of Dec hahaha.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Trucks in for Inspection. Got a text saying it needs a couple holes in the floor patched, another small patch on the frame (He said it should be patched but it could be fine), and a pitman arm (possible shake fix?) So he said he'll price it tomorrow and to shoot him a text around 10 to see how much my wallet hates me haha.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Well well well, almost 3 months later.
Hugenormus Update!!!!!!

It's been Inspected ($210), Registered ($75), and Insured ($55 a month). I have beaten the ever living **** out of the poor old thing since December 1st. I drove it for a bit just the way it was, Then I got the wise idea I wanted a Sun Visor/Moon Visor or whatever you'd like to call it.

I got one from my Grandfather for nothing. Problem was, it was off of an '84 Ford. So it was about 5-6" too long on each side. After a bit of persuasion and coaxing, a touch of hacking with a fancy Die Grinder, it was kinda sorta almost an acceptable fit. I got my brother to stand in front of the truck and guide me to a nice, tight, perfectly centered fit. Turns out he's an idiot and apparently cannot see straight. It was a very aggravating and very noticeable 2-3" off center. I got tired and cranky so I said **** it and pounded the self tapping screws to er, stripped most of them. But then I had a Bright Red Stubby Visor. The Visor might have lasted a bit longer if I knew what I was doing and used a bit more care, but hey ya live ya learn. About a week later, **** Cuttin' 80mph, it blew off into the trees someplace. And I was in no mood to look for the F'in ****** thing that day either. I wish I had a picture of how dumb it was, which was VERY.

It's had the odd thing replaced, Rear Brake Lines (Twice), Front Caliper, Brake Pads, Driver's Side Headlight (Son' ***** Caught Fire and Esploded), and Tires, Lots of Tires.

I've drifted this thing in the snow so much it's stupid, definitely a Semi-Professional by now. Then one particular day Big Little Brother, Our Stoner Buddy and I decided it was a good idea to go down a ******, slippy, unplowed road full of snow drifts which were FROZEN. We dicked 'er turning in the road, like literally the first 3 feet of road. I was showing off and tried to drift in and be all cool like, but there was ice, bare ice. After we got a tug out we headed for the '****tys'. 60ish mph was not a good idea down that road. But we were bouncing down the road almost jumping all the solid snow drifts, just havin' a grand ol' time, typical ******* teenager driving kinda stuff. Anyways we hit this one drift which didn't seem to be of concern but we launched in the air better part of 2 feet. My buddy went to brace himself for the landing and when he did that, he shoved his foot on top of mine which was on the gas pedal and that sent 'er wide open. When we landed it just spun sideways and hit a big drift, which wouldn't be that big of a deal but the drift was froze solid and we were on Two wheels for a respectable 6 seconds. Had to get The Big Blue Cummins to Haul us out.

qI121vc.jpg
r3a5Kfz.jpg
mbsGSyw.jpg
jGadM3T.jpg

But just wait, there's more.

About a week ago a bunch of us were all sittin' around in our trucks and it started to snow. So we did what was expected of us Hooligans, and we all started arsing around, drifting all over, and I thought 'Hey that loading ramp doesn't look all that steep, maybe I'll just plant her up there and be cool as ****.' So I did. While it looked cool as ****, I ran something over. Still not exactly sure what it was, it almost looked like a peice of brake line or something. Small steel tube like thing. Anyhow I didn't notice it at all so we parked back up to our spot and shot the **** for a while, it was like 4am and I was dead tired. I made the main drag and something was very not right. It was loud, almost a grinding noise. As it was 4am nobody was around, I stopped and hopped out to see if I could find anything obvious, I did. My tire flatter than **** on a platter, my good f'in tire too as it only spins one wheel (YOLO: You Only Leave One).

3P9oEza.png

I was pissed, but I drove it home anyway and it was still on the rim so I went to bed.

T6E0N6k.png

Next morning hopped in the truck, completely oblivious to my completely flat tire and headed er for town. 4 seconds into my journey I remembered. about 10kmh made the usual 2 minute drive, a 15 minute drive. Figured I'd stop into one of the 3 Mechanic shops to get the tire plugged. Didn't Happen. Eventually I made it to my main Mechanic's place, without touching the rim on the ground at all might I add, and threw Two 245/75/16 Winter Tires off something in the junkyard, $40 mounted and all couldn't complain.

mxcVnn2.png

Finally I have acquired a Visor that's actually made for a Dodge, and it's even Black! This time I was patient and Triple checked that it was straight, and pounded the Self Tappers to it.

s7OXFzs.jpg

The next day I had a visit with my Uncle, whom had a nice Aluminum Diamond Plate Toolbox on his Chev. He didn't like how it sat with his Back Rack, so rather than tell him about the Toolbox Mounts they have, I took the Toolbox off his hands for him. I'm always trying to help out hahaha.

GmlW2A0.png

And that is where we are at now. I also found a 318, NV3500, Wiring Harness, Clutch, Flywheel, Clutch ***** Cylinder, Clutch Pedal Assemby, etc. Everything that I need for my 318 5spd swap except a computer, but that's not too difficult to find. I hope...

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
. As long as you have posi and know how to drive you can make it just as far as a 4x4 in my opinion hahaha

Only people who have 2wd say that. Imagine what you could do if you "knew how to drive" and had four wheel drive.

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Only people who have 2wd say that. Imagine what you could do if you "knew how to drive" and had four wheel drive.

Unreal things hahah, That's what 4 Wheel Peel is for, ****** Drivers. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Looks like you had a good time though!

For sure! Looking forward to more too!

I bought a Stubby Antenna for it (Just a Cheap Universal), mine is dickered. Should have the older style mirrors next week sometime hopefully. Nand New CB Radio is a few weeks away as well!

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
long as you have posi and know how to drive you can make it just as far as a 4x4 in my opinion hahaha

I doubt that very much but 2wd with a locker and good tires will do much better than most people give it credit. Key is to keep the wheels straight and use momentum.

2006 Ram 1500 SLT Megacab
5.7/auto/4wd
2" lift,33's,minor exhaust tweak. (For now)

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
I hated the Chrome grill and that weird Grey bumper, so I figured why not black it out? Low Dollar, Huge Difference.
I read that you're supposed to sand the chrome completely off until the Plastic shows up. Well **** that, it took an Hour and a Half with the half assed job I did.

IMG_0191_zpsn5mzqmfx.jpg

I laid down 2 very thin base coats to hopefully help it stick better.

IMG_0193_zpsa3q4tqhz.jpg

I think it was about 4 or 5 coats in total, But here's how that turned out.

IMG_0194_zps5cvi32xc.jpg

The thing looked RIDICULOUS driving up and down Main Street all day without a bumper or grill haha
(Yes that is a Male G-String on the rear view, it also has a crab in it. Because Randy has crabs.)

IMG_0198_zpsqxe1zqy2.jpg

I let the Grill dry for a little under 24 hours or so then slapped it on while I painted the bumper, which took a bit longer than expected due to taking off on the wheelers all day. So I rocked the Rally Ram look for a day or two, the little V6 looked mean without a bumper.

IMG_0204_zpslmgz3zb8.jpg

Finally I started on the bumper, I had intentions of straightening it and sanding it from 80 grit down to 400 and having it semi smooth. Then I seen the corners of the actual bumper, which were hidden by the bottom plastic piece, and it was rotten. So I beat the dents out, which were cause by an altercation with a Ranger and Ice, scuffed it up, hit the bad spots with a few generous globs of rust converter, then laid a few thin coats. Ended up finishing off a whole can of paint on it just because, 6 coats or so.

IMG_0202_zpsq095pcwo.jpg

The morning after the bumper was finished I was heading somewhere and decided I would throw the bumper on right quick. -31C with the wind chill.. the bumper got half ass tightened to the truck. Which reminds me, I still never finished tightening it. Oh well it's still on there.

IMG_0206_zpslqk2t2qs.jpg

It's coming together more and more each day, but it's also falling apart more and more each day. While attempting to remove my bumper the first time, via a stubby ratchet and the only 18mm socket in ********** (happened to be shallow, I needed a deep socket), I slipped. When I slipped I had reached out for the truck to catch myself, and kinda, sorta, probably, fell through the driver's side fender. The passengers side I was trying to remove the fender liner's clips with a flat head screwdriver, got pissed off and just yanked it out... Along with part of the fender. I figured it would be full of bondo when I bought it, but it was FULL of bondo. From the flare on the wheel well to the very bottom of the ******* thing. Just a solid line of **** bodywork, inner fenders are also rotted out. But I'll just buy new fenders and have a blast trying to install them.

Anywho, here's some photography of the Hooptie!

IMG_0213_zpsvipasnsp.jpg
IMG_0212_zpscnhdvzvq.jpg
IMG_0211_zpsi2caqi6j.jpg
IMG_0210_zpsufkmjrk6.jpg

The blacks don't match. There's rough spots. It probably won't last, but ya gotta learn somehow.

Also, tonight whilst drifting around in the snow, blew another ******* brake line. Pretty sure it's the same as last time but I'm not sure.
My bypass hose has a crack in it, so it leaks antifreeze. I'm usually on top of keeping it full but apparently not tonight. She got WARM.
Rear end is still trying to esplode itself but hasn't yet.
Still haven't attempted to figure out which Speed Sensor I need to fix my Speedo.
318 swap time is getting closer and closer, and ideas of what I'm going to do to the motor are all over the place.
I need Drum Shoes and have for quite some time.

Basically I'm gonna be living off of Mr.Noodles and NoName Kool-Aid for a while.