Quick disconnects for front sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss/ah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know of these available to purchase?? The only ones made are for the F----ng Jeeps like every thing else.

If not would anyone want to buy them if I made a few??? Let me know your thoughts.

And a word to wise if you do disconnect your sway bar, install some sort of cable or chain limiter, so that your front wheel doesn't drop TOO far and dislodge a spring. I have heard this has happened to a few of the new Power Wagons with the electric disconnect feature!!!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well, I believe that disconnects are made for 2nd gen Rams. You might check at Dodge Off Road or Top Gun Customz.

Back in the day when nobody made them I adapted a set of Warrior Products disconnects for a Cherokee. Pretty much a bolt on deal. I still run them.

Cable or a chunk of chain limiter devices sound like a bad idea to me. Heavy duty limit straps are available from a variety of 4 wheel drive suppliers and the quality varies but most are pretty decent to downright heavy duty. If you're out there airing the truck on regular basis you should inspect them often and change them at the first sign of stretching or damage. Otherwise they'll last several years before replacement, even longer in salt free environments.

8217891766_a75b9b4206_z.jpgDSCI0003 by desertguy56, on Flickr

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well, I believe that disconnects are made for 2nd gen Rams. You might check at Dodge Off Road or Top Gun Customz.

Back in the day when nobody made them I adapted a set of Warrior Products disconnects for a Cherokee. Pretty much a bolt on deal. I still run them.

Cable or a chunk of chain limiter devices sound like a bad idea to me. Heavy duty limit straps are available from a variety of 4 wheel drive suppliers and the quality varies but most are pretty decent to downright heavy duty. If you're out there airing the truck on regular basis you should inspect them often and change them at the first sign of stretching or damage. Otherwise they'll last several years before replacement, even longer in salt free environments.

Wow ain't seen you on here in FOREVER lol

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
No thanks I'll just pull the bolt out and tie it up with a bungee cord. Takes 2 mins vs 20 secs but w/e. Or just ditch the whole sway bar.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Wow ain't seen you on here in FOREVER lol

Yeah I think I've mentioned before I don't hang out on forums much...I believe it's the quality of some of the posters that keeps me away...unless I can provide a humorous yet to the point answer.

Such a point might be made of the post following yours. While the point of simply unscrewing a nut from a stud (until something gets stripped) and bungee cording the swaybar to the frame has moot ( I do that). The part about ditching the swaybar isn't a great idea.

If it were, all your quality lift/suspension manufactures would not include extended sway links in their kits.

The swaybar is designed to keep your truck's body lean at a minimum when turning or making maneuvers at speed. This becomes more critical as you lift your truck and something called the roll center (similar to the center of gravity) changes drastically. The function of the links to transfer the weight of the truck from the outside of the turn to the inside of the turn to keep your truck as level as possible. So links must be the proper length to do this as quickly as possible. BTW, I explain this part a bit more in my lift basics for 2nd gen trucks thread.

Anyway....having driven my truck without the bar connected down I-17 from Sedona AZ to Phoenix in a 20 mph cross breeze is something I would not attempt again. The truck yawed and geed like a drunken sailor on a 3 day binge...and every passing semi was a moment of terror.

People that tell me their truck doesn't sway with out the front bar usually end up in the conversation complaining about their loose steering (really?) or I find they've used springs so stiff that while the truck doesn't lean it has other issues they can't figure out. Lastly, in this sue happy world, I'd hate for some slick investigator to find that I'd removed the bar...a piece the factory deemed necessary for safe on road operation.

Anyway...thanks for saying hi Mr pepper. Remember...less postin', more wrenchin'!

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah I think I've mentioned before I don't hang out on forums much...I believe it's the quality of some of the posters that keeps me away...unless I can provide a humorous yet to the point answer.[/COLOR]
Sounds like me on the other forums lol I like this section of this one
Such a point might be made of the post following yours. While the point of simply unscrewing a nut from a stud (until something gets stripped) and bungee cording the swaybar to the frame has moot ( I do that). The part about ditching the swaybar isn't a great idea.
I agree. Anything to make a big truck more stable is not worth getting rid of
If it were, all your quality lift/suspension manufactures would not include extended sway links in their kits.

The swaybar is designed to keep your truck's body lean at a minimum when turning or making maneuvers at speed. This becomes more critical as you lift your truck and something called the roll center (similar to the center of gravity) changes drastically. The function of the links to transfer the weight of the truck from the outside of the turn to the inside of the turn to keep your truck as level as possible. So links must be the proper length to do this as quickly as possible. BTW, I explain this part a bit more in my lift basics for 2nd gen trucks thread.
Great thread.
Anyway....having driven my truck without the bar connected down I-17 from Sedona AZ to Phoenix in a 20 mph cross breeze is something I would not attempt again. The truck yawed and geed like a drunken sailor on a 3 day binge...and every passing semi was a moment of terror.

People that tell me their truck doesn't sway with out the front bar usually end up in the conversation complaining about their loose steering (really?) or I find they've used springs so stiff that while the truck doesn't lean it has other issues they can't figure out. Lastly, in this sue happy world, I'd hate for some slick investigator to find that I'd removed the bar...a piece the factory deemed necessary for safe on road operation.
^^same people put 3" true duals without even so much as an Hpipe and complain that their truck has no balls! lol
Anyway...thanks for saying hi Mr pepper. Remember...less postin', more wrenchin'!
No problem! I've been doing a lot of both!

Answers in RED

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yeah I think I've mentioned before I don't hang out on forums much...I believe it's the quality of some of the posters that keeps me away...unless I can provide a humorous yet to the point answer.

Nice post lol true words for sure.

I don't have the swaybar under my truck and have done two trips out to the coast without it and I agree 100%, there have been some Wn moments on those trips because it was not under my truck. I meant to install it before the last one and forgot about it until i got in a cross wind then I remembered really fast and that was followed by some very foul language. In town driving and short trips not a big deal but out on the hwy/towing yea its a good idea to have one. I also agree if I get in a fender bender and its not there they will most likely deny my claim and coverage. But my truck is insured as a modified truck so I will have to look into this part better.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
lose the swaybar and nvr look back

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Same here. Mine are JKS for an XJ/ZJ/TJ with 0 to little lift. They are a direct bolt on for the later model 2nd gens, I think 2000 and 2001. The older 2nd gens have a different setup, and will take a considerable amount of modification to get quick disconnects on.

20151118_122720_zpscc5gvuhx.jpg

Also, limit straps will vary depending on what your application is and what parts you have on. My truck is limited by the shocks, and I have zero issues when my sway bars are disconnected. However, my Jeep I had to install limited straps front and rear on it, otherwise I'd have to chase my coil springs down the mountain.

To the OP, your info shows a newer Ram. BDS actually sells quick disconnects for those trucks now.

2500_zpselsjbt8a.jpg

acc_122413_a.jpg

lose the swaybar and nvr look back

You get criticized and defensive whenever anyone here calls you out, but yet you keep giving this ****** advice to members that potentially could cause an accident or worse. I'm sorry, but your statements mean nothing to me anymore. You keep coming up with "20 years and never had a problem" whenever anyone questions you, but I've said it before...things have changed in 20 years.

Let me help you with your statement.

I took my sway bar off and haven't personally noticed a difference, although that was my personal experience and I advise to use caution while driving without a sway bar due to reasons explained above as to why you should keep it.

See how easy that was?

Last edited:

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
depends on who the op is and what their intentions are acually.
geesh i really irk you u must have "nightmares: about me.

like i said depends on the circumstances and what the op is dealing with. in this instance it looks like he was wanting to spend a boat load of money on something that doesnt really matter all that much for his situation.
now **** off.:love51:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr