Removing the body lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, i just signed up to the forums today, so I'm a newbie. I have a 99 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4. It has 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift and 37 " tires. I want to get smaller tires and remove the body lift. I know it might sound crazy, but these big tires are just burning too much fuel and it's difficult for my kids to get in and out of. Any suggestions on an easy removal of the body lift would be much appreciated. Is it something I can do in my driveway with the help of a few buddies? Let me know.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I'm going to need to see pictures before I can answer this!
:naughty:
mainly b/c I want to put a BL on mine and run 37s

you can search for BL installation and see what involved, but yes. most people with some wrenching experience and a small amount of tools and a jack or two, can do it in the driveway.
you may need to buy shorter body mount bolts when you remove the ones needed for the 3" of extra space.
I'd say give your self a full day, maybe some time for a 2nd for if you break stuff.
a few extra hands is very helpful.

OP
OP
J

johnnyg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to need to see pictures before I can answer this!
:naughty:
mainly b/c I want to put a BL on mine and run 37s

you can search for BL installation and see what involved, but yes. most people with some wrenching experience and a small amount of tools and a jack or two, can do it in the driveway.
you may need to buy shorter body mount bolts when you remove the ones needed for the 3" of extra space.
I'd say give your self a full day, maybe some time for a 2nd for if you break stuff.
a few extra hands is very helpful.

Thank you for that advice. I have attached pics for you. I will check out some online videos to better help me through it also.

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,102
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 389

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
wow, you have alot of room.
I dont disagree with your reasons for removing it.

can you fit larger tires? or are those close to rubbing during turning?

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
great looking truck too!!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
good looking truck. I would say with some common wrenching knowledge and some buddies it could be removed in the driveway

OP
OP
J

johnnyg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you for the compliment on the truck. I love it. It's a complete beast. The tires are so loud and the beat the crap out of me. I want to sell them and get smaller and more of a road tire. There is no way the tires even come close to rubbing as it stands now. I want to go with a 34" or 33" tire just to get a better ride for now. Let me know what you think.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I have 33" tires on mine - BFG all terrains.

they are unnoticeable on the street

they look a bit small with my 5" lift.

I will get 35"s when these need replacing.

I am toying with later down the road, when this truck is not my daily, putting on a BL and running 37s or 38s. but I would hate to have to regear.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
sent you a pm of an install write up.
good luck

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good man, and GL with the demod.

OP
OP
J

johnnyg23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. She's a pretty cool truck. All of my kid's friends think I'm cool. lol I will look at the install document and just reverse everything i guess. Thanks again for all of the advice and kind words. I need to buy smaller tires and sell the ones I have now.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hmm... With a body lift I bet I could fit 37's lol

Truck looks really good man. Black 2nd gens are popping up left are right lately

Last edited:

SilverHoghead

Reaction score
Born and raised in Hendersonville, TN. University
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Hi all, i just signed up to the forums today, so I'm a newbie. I have a 99 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4. It has 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift and 37 " tires. I want to get smaller tires and remove the body lift. I know it might sound crazy, but these big tires are just burning too much fuel and it's difficult for my kids to get in and out of. Any suggestions on an easy removal of the body lift would be much appreciated. Is it something I can do in my driveway with the help of a few buddies? Let me know.

I'll trade your tires lol... i'm trying to lose my 35s for some 37s