Shackle lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I would recommend a shackle flip vs lift shackles. Lift shackles are shorter reducing articulation and ride quality and can add more stress to the springs and bushings

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'd do a shackle flip also
Then again I have a 3rd gen so that isn't a problem lol

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just do a shackle flip, wouldnt bother with something like a shackle lift.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Already have an AAL so I don't really want to add another one. Not interested in a shackle flip. Replacing the shackle with a shorter shackle is simple and effective.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
id like to know as well... is it really as simple as putting the springs under the shackle mount instead of on top and removing the block??

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
BDS install pdf might offer some good info on this.

Read and understand all instructions and warnings prior to installation of system and operation of vehicle.

Part#: 012509
Product: Rear Shackle Flip Kit
Application: 1994-2001 Dodge 1/2 Ton Pickup 4WD

SAFETY WARNING BDS Suspension Co. recommends this system be installed by a professional technician.

In addition to these instructions, professional knowledge of disassembly/ reassembly procedures and post installation checks must be known.

rev. 4/17/2013
491 W. Garfield Ave., Coldwater, MI 49036
Phone: 517-279-2135

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Park the vehicle on a clean, flat surface and block the front wheels for safety.

2. Raise the rear of the vehicle and place jack stands under each frame rail just ahead of the front leaf spring hangers. Lower the vehicle so it is supported by the jack stands.

3. Remove the wheels.

4. Support the differential with a hydraulic jack and remove the OE shocks. Retain the shock mounting hardware.

5. With the jack supporting the axle, remove the driver’s and passenger’s shackle-to-frame mounting bolts (See Fig1). Slowly raise the axle slightly to remove the shackle from the bracket.

6. Locate the four rivets mounting the OE shackle brackets to the frame (See Fig 1). Remove the heads of the rivets with a cut-off wheel, grinder or air chisel. Once the rivet heads are removed, use a hammer and punch to push the body of the rivets through the frame and remove the brackets.

7. With both OE shackle brackets removed, lower the axle enough so that the new provided brackets (01260, 01261) can be put into place. Take care not to over-extend any lines or hoses. Adjust lines or hoses as needed.

8. Position the brackets to the original rivet holes in the frame. The new brackets are side specific so determine where the brackets go by aligning the holes in the bracket to those in the frame. No new holes need to be drilled to install the new brackets.

9. After determining the proper bracket locations, install the new brackets to the frame with the supplied 7/16” x 1-1/4” bolts, nuts and washers. Square up the bracket with the bottom of the frame and torque the 7/16” mounting hardware to 55 ft-lbs.

10. With both brackets installed and tightened, loosen the shackle-to-spring mounting bolt and rotate the shackle up and install it in the new bracket. Loosely fasten the shackle to the bracket with the original hardware. The shackle bolts will be tightened later with the weight of the vehicle on the springs.

11. Install the appropriate BDS shocks with the original hardware. Torque hardware to 90 ft-lbs.

12. Install the wheels, remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle to the ground.

13. Bounce the rear of the vehicle to settle the suspension.

Torque the shackle-to-hanger and shackle-to-spring bolts to 95 ft-lbs.

14. Check all hardware for proper torque.

15. Check hardware after 500 miles.

Last edited:

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wait so a shackle flip how much lift does that get you? If you do a shackle flip how much do you need in the front to level it out assuming no leveling kit has been installed? Is this shackle flip really gonna cost me 1700 dollars like in the link or is that just directions? A shackle flip sounds inexpenesive. That link says something incredibly different though

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Shackle flip is good for 4" lift, the shackle flip kit is about $300 up here if I remember right. So under that for you down there, it is not an easy kit to find on the web by part number. Best to call a BDS retailer for pricing.

Last edited:

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so a 6in front lift with the shackle flip would level me out and bring me to 4 in lift across the board this is pretty much what im looking for nothing extreme just a good bit to make it look nice.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any tips on finding a front only lift kit? i cant seem to find anything if not what can i rig up id imagine that 3/4 and 1 tons have leafs in the front if not just the 1 ton but i wouldnt think thatd get me 6 inches either. Any reccomendations?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Any tips on finding a front only lift kit? I cant seem to find anything if not what can I rig up id imagine that 3/4 and 1 tons have leafs in the front if not just the 1 ton but I wouldn't think that'd get me 6 inches either. Any recommendations?

Go look at what's all included in a lift kit please. You need more than just springs to lift one of these trucks right, especially if you plan on going up 6".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye