Stack leveling kit on top of lift coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter_5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 97 1500 5.9 4x4.... I already put 2 " lift coils on it, but I was thinking about stacking the rough country leveling kit on top... Good or bad idea? What problems would I run into?

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
804ef9e30ce42ef894d47fa437c090a31_zpsonsroczj.jpg

Conveniently had that saved in my clipboard on my phone.

There's more parts needed when going that high. Lower control arms, pitman arm, track bar relocation bracket, bump stops and shocks are required when going that high. Some companies like Fabtech supply lower control arms for 3" lifts.

Plus, you never want to stack spacers on top of lift springs. The springs are designed to move in the center, if you move the vehicle up higher the motion moves from the center of the spring to the upper section of the spring. Stiffer ride and premature wear on the coils, and voided warranties on the springs then ensues.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
op you going to want new control arms
ive been stacking 2" blocks on the front of every vehicle ive ever owned with aftermarket lift springs for the past 20yrs of lifting vehicles. no probs.
just my 10cents though but yea not good for what op wants to do

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why is it bad? It is no different than putting it in with stock springs. But the only thing you need to do is keep all the other suspension components to have all the same relative geometry to the stock design, as in longer control arms, track bar, steering links etc etc....

This is why it is not typically done cause its no cheaper than just buying a 2" taller kit or having one custom made to fit the desired height. now if your just going to shove the blocks in and not address the other components in the suspension then you will have problems just like if you put in a spacer that exceeds the limits of the stock components

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ouch 5.5" lift blocks... Uh no... Maybe I should have put a clause in my statement that there is a point where things wont work... There is a right and wrong way to do a lift and things you can do to get "extra" height... but I wouldn't run anything more than a 2" coil spacer and a 1" leaf block to begin with.

5.5"... geeeez think if the axle wrap you would get. There is so much more to look at than spacers in a lift to do it right anyway

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
No. NightMare has it spot on as to WHY you shouldn't. Stock springs don't have the stress punt moved nearly as much as lift springs. Becomes an issue of safety and when you gotta question the safety of something, do you really wanna risk it?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
No. NightMare has it spot on as to WHY you shouldn't. Stock springs don't have the stress punt moved nearly as much as lift springs. Becomes an issue of safety and when you gotta question the safety of something, do you really wanna risk it?

EXACTLY. That's why I have two spacers stacked on a coil. Who doesn't like some risk? :secret:

:hidesbehindsofa:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A spring is going to function the same whether there is a spacer in it or not, just cause a spacer is put in doesn't magically change the spring rate or portion of spring that collapses first in a standard rate or progressive rate spring, and especially even moreso if its a progressive rate spring.

And back in the day Skyjacker used to sell lifts with both spacer and spring.

Most of the time a lift spring has the same spring rate as a stock spring anyway.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A spring is going to function the same whether there is a spacer in it or not, just cause a spacer is put in doesn't magically change the spring rate or portion of spring that collapses first in a standard rate or progressive rate spring, and especially even moreso if its a progressive rate spring.

And back in the day Skyjacker used to sell lifts with both spacer and spring.

Most of the time a lift spring has the same spring rate as a stock spring anyway.

Wrong. Most of the time lifted springs have heavier rates than stock. The springs are longer than stock springs, if the rate was the same it would be too soft. The springs off my truck stock had a 306 rate, the BDS 5" springs are 365.

And Skyjacker must have learned from their mistakes, because they'll void the warranty if you file a claim for spring failure and have spacers mounted on top now.

The fact of the matter is, by the time you purchase all the other needed parts to accommodate the spacers, you can buy a full kit and have everything you need, and you'll know that it's set up correctly.

Hell, I'd recommend a Rough Country kit over stacked springs and spacers, and I try, and I mean try, to tell people not to buy their crap.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Under NO circumstances are SKYJACKER® coil springs to be used in conjunction with any type of coil spring or spring tower block/spacer. The use of coil spring block/spacers will allow ANY coil spring to exceed its designed stress and travel loads allowing it be over stressed, over sprung, fatigued, and possibly break. SKYJACKER® warranty is void under any such application.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
op you going to want new control arms
ive been stacking 2" blocks on the front of every vehicle ive ever owned with aftermarket lift springs for the past 20yrs of lifting vehicles. no probs.
just my 10cents though but yea not good for what op wants to do

This is the same kinda thing you see when guys ask if you can run stacked wheel spacers or stack blocks or throw bigger injectors in stock motors. "Never had a problem with mine" or not that YOU have noticed. Compare it to another vehicle where someone got hurt or killed or worse because of their choosing to do this stuff, doesn't seem like a good idea does it? Another example is the spikes on the grille guard like was recently posted in the daily thread.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
20 years.
as old as you.
im fine.
so are others.
again i get sj putting that on paper to relieve themselves of any wrongdoing, but..
peace2u

also, done it on 7"sj coils b4 too, no fatigue, no probs, and crazy enough no deaths!
hey bottom line if ya dont feel comfortable doin it dont do it

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
20 years.
as old as you.
im fine.
so are others.
again i get sj putting that on paper to relieve themselves of any wrongdoing, but..
peace2u

Not trying to call you out just use your words as an example of something we see everyday. Just because one guy has been doing it, or even a couple guys, DOES NOT MEAN IT'S SAFE. Why risk your life or the lives of others? The spikes on the grille guard for example got kids killed. Why increase the chances of killing somebody from a stupid modification that could have easily been avoided? Age is not a measure of experience so do not try to call me out for that because I'll prove you wrong so fast your head will spin.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
yea dude your so right of course yea my head spinnin like a ****

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
This is the same kinda thing you see when guys ask if you can run stacked wheel spacers or stack blocks or throw bigger injectors in stock motors. "Never had a problem with mine" or not that YOU have noticed. Compare it to another vehicle where someone got hurt or killed or worse because of their choosing to do this stuff, doesn't seem like a good idea does it? Another example is the spikes on the grille guard like was recently posted in the daily thread.

All about that #StanceLife

p6KfT7v.png

ZpDWFuK.png

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Ramburger, you need to keep YOUR **** off here. Jesus Christ, everything you say goes against common safety rules.

na i just answer from my experience to peoples questions, i feel i have alot of experience but at the same time totally get what the manufacturer is saying, but giving my 10cents is usually what i like to contribute. not trying to fight but feel like i sometimes get bashed on for just telling my experience. i dont say its the only way, just my take thats all, sorry if i am offending anyone as its truly not my intention. ive been very satisfied with my builds/vehicle handling over the years. just sharing.

Last edited: