Steering SHOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
1998 1500 RCSB 4x4

So, as the title says my steering is completely shot. It's loose, off center and doesn't track straight. It's been that way since I bought it almost 2 years ago but got worse. The truck is lifted probably about 2-3" and looks as though taller springs were added with completely stock steering and suspension otherwise. Drag link/tie rod is also bent somewhat. Alignment is terrible. Sitting for 6 months with nobody driving it, with a broken hub for a couple months, probably didn't help.

So, I finally got her back this weekend. Ordered a new drag link, tie rod (and ends and adjusting sleeves) and track bar, all Moog. Hoping that this tightens it up a lot, although the steering box probably has some play too. I'll also be able to get a real alignment cause I'm getting rid of the rusty crap under there. My question is is there anything else I should be looking at or doing? My understanding is that track bar and drag link should be at the same angle, don't know if some sort of drop bracket for track bar is necessary. I'll be replacing the suspension at some point in the future, probably a little taller, but for now I need the thing to go down the road straight and safely. I'll also probably do a Dana 60/70 swap from a 2500 sometime this year, does anyone know if the 1500 and 2500 steering is interchangeable? Know this post is kinda long-winded, thanks for any help.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
A new track bar will help a ton. When I put my new one on it was night and day difference.