Stock lift on a 1998 ram 1500 sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sorry, I know the lift thing has literally been beaten to death on this forum and others, but I'm having a hard finding any info on it. I have a 1998 Ram Sport, and I've heard of some having the off road package which inc.ludes a 2" lift. Now my truck seems to be lifted already and I see that there's some sort of block between the leaf spring and axle but I don't know if that is stock or aftermarket. It looks stock, rusted and old.

I want to lift it a lot more, but I'm not sure if the lift kits include this block in the back on top of the 3 inches they claim.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to RF! That is a good question and not a super common one. I had the same question when I first got my truck. Well here is the skinny.

Dodge ram off road package is a small 2" lift that is provided by a larger block in the rear and stiffer coils up front simulating a lift. The factory sport does not have a lift from the factory unless it is the off road edition.

When you buy a lift it will depend on the type of lift you get. Body or suspension. A suspension lift should come with new blocks in the rear. Block on block is bad mojo and super high lift blocks are horrible for axle wrap and can cause driveshaft issues. A body lift does just that it will lift the body off the frame to give you lift but that will only work so much as the control arms are still in the factory location and will cause tire rub if you go too big.

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject.

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it does. So a stock truck, will have the leafs sitting directly on the axle with of course the plate that holds them?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not normally. The older ones are that way. Like gen 1 I think. Gen 2 Has a factory 3" block I think. I haven't measured mine in a while. But it will look like this:
2012-06-01_11-52-20_595.jpg

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay that's exactly what mine looks like. I just wanted to make sure.

So people still put 2-3" blocks on top of that? Granted this is my first truck, but damn that would seem a little sketchy.

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I read the start of the Off Road Basics and honestly didn't get to the rear end part when I first found that thread. But thanks for posting it again.

It definitely needs to be a Sticky. For Noobs like me.

jsq789

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Okay that's exactly what mine looks like. I just wanted to make sure.

So people still put 2-3" blocks on top of that? Granted this is my first truck, but damn that would seem a little sketchy.
The stock block is 3" and I put a 4" block on top of it. They have "bumps" on top and bottom of them to keep them from sliding off of each other. Tighten the crap out of the ubolts and you'll be fine :favorites13:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Stacking blocks is bad...I don't care how it's done.

First and worst blocks put major stress in the center of the spring, which over time assists premature back bow (sag) and spring wrapup under acceleration.

Second no matter how carefully they are installed, I've seen them come out. The carnage is amazing even at crawl speeds.

If you do install them...don't "tighten the crap out of them" There are proper torque settings for saddle bolts. Overtightenng them can cause breakage under the right stress.
Again, the carnage is spectacular.

EDIT: Whatever you do, always install new bolts. Never trust old, stretched and rusty saddle bolts to hold torque.

jsq789

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Oh we'll that's what I did and its fine