suspension question for all you lifted Ram-ers out there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
'01 Ram
Engine
to start, my trucks got a 5" suspension lift on it. iv'e noticed that the front tires are cambered in (negative camber) and have no clue on what to do to get them straight up. iv'e been told by some mechanics that these trucks have no camber adjustments at all, only toe. now my question is this, is it true? they also said that the only way for me to get my wheels to sit straight up, i would need off-set ball joints. again, is it true? please elaborate on this and help a confused dude out. i don't need to be tearing up my new mud tires with an out-of-alignment truck. ;)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Your mechanic is spot on , ball joints and a new alignment are needed . The down side of the SFA .

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
to start, my trucks got a 5" suspension lift on it. iv'e noticed that the front tires are cambered in (negative camber) and have no clue on what to do to get them straight up. iv'e been told by some mechanics that these trucks have no camber adjustments at all, only toe. now my question is this, is it true? they also said that the only way for me to get my wheels to sit straight up, i would need off-set ball joints. again, is it true? please elaborate on this and help a confused dude out. i don't need to be tearing up my new mud tires with an out-of-alignment truck. ;)

Ok...I have questions for you. :birgits_tiredcoffee Is your "camber" causing unusual wear? A lot of folks think thier camber is off but the it ends up being a toe issue. Too much toe in will set your tires in a negative camber look. You need a proper amount of toe so when your vehicle is in motion, your wheels acrtually straighten out.

You don't want your tires "straight up" If you could set them that way, you'd see a noticable amount of wear on your inner/outer tread as your tire rides on that part of the tread everytime your turn. Your handling at speed would be fatally poor. :birgits_tiredcoffee

You can buy adjustable ball joints to adjust your camber, but unless you've been in an accident or damaged your axle in some matter you shouldn't need them. Did your alignment guy say you needed them? I'd seek a second opinion. Maybe your ball joints are shot. That would increase camber!

I might consider adjustable joints if you are running LARGE tires on highly offset (positive) wheels. But your axles "C"s which your ball joints are set into are preset for proper camber. It should work for 95% of us. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok...I have questions for you. :birgits_tiredcoffee Is your "camber" causing unusual wear? A lot of folks think thier camber is off but the it ends up being a toe issue. Too much toe in will set your tires in a negative camber look. You need a proper amount of toe so when your vehicle is in motion, your wheels acrtually straighten out.

You don't want your tires "straight up" If you could set them that way, you'd see a noticable amount of wear on your inner/outer tread as your tire rides on that part of the tread everytime your turn. Your handling at speed would be fatally poor. :birgits_tiredcoffee

You can buy adjustable ball joints to adjust your camber, but unless you've been in an accident or damaged your axle in some matter you shouldn't need them. Did your alignment guy say you needed them? I'd seek a second opinion. Maybe your ball joints are shot. That would increase camber!

I might consider adjustable joints if you are running LARGE tires on highly offset (positive) wheels. But your axles "C"s which your ball joints are set into are preset for proper camber. It should work for 95% of us. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Agreed...Toe is the bigger killer, it will chew up tires fast.

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Moog sells off set ball joints for out truck

this would deffinately be the easiest fix but when it comes to having a big lift on a heavy truck you dont wann get it "good enough" you might as well just do it right the first time(ive learned the hard way). just find out what all is loose down there and fix it all at once. youll feel better about the fix as well

ADDCJ

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
jack up the front end so the tires are just off the ground, and see if there is any movement in the wheel/tire that will help you figure out if the ball joints are shot.