want suspension and lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Hey guys, so my 00' dodge ram 1500 slt shortbed, is wanting to be lifted hah
I would like to get nice suspension so it drives nice, on and off road, but I would also like to lift it up 4-6 inches. My question is with so much different items, and myself being newer to this all I want to get some opionions as well as facts about suspension and lift.

I know some people get 10" suspension, that actually lifts only a few inches....
As previously said, I want lift and susp.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Depends on what you're wanting to pay for a lift. And I don't know anyone that got a 10" lift that would only give them a few inches of lift

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
I'd say I wanna spend a grand or less, if possible. I don't want something cheap that's gonna break or not hold up as sturdy as it should. Like I said I want some nice suspension but want it lifted up too.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
What size tires will you be running? Because that will tell us what size lift and/or gears you would need.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Right now I have 315.75.16 bfg all terrains. I plan on getting whatever is best for wet traction (ps any tips for that lol) they are not good for wet traction, I live on the coast and they were on my truck when I got it, and I spin a little when I start when it's wet, which is just about always and I have to ease out and then grandma drive to not spin, yes I have nothing in my bed so no weight on the rear axle doesnt help any. I want to get some sweet wheels and probably go with 35's, open to suggestions. I know people run 37's on some 6 inch take lifts but is that just preforance or what Should be ran?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Don't run any larger than a 35 on stock 1500 axles as you will eat through hubs and ball joints quickly. I would say a 4 inch lift should suffice to fit 35s as long as you have enough backspacing on your wheels.

As far as tires with wet traction, I say any tire with a good amount of siping will be good for that. My tires have a similar tread pattern to the old school BFG MT, but with siping and they do great in the wet. I am constantly surprised, in fact, by my trucks rain handling ability.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
People who say they have 9" or 10" lifts but don't look like it is because they have a combination of lifts on their truck. For example. I used to have an 87 blazer that had a total of 7 inches of lift, but it appeared to be about 4-6. I had a 4 inch suspension and 3 inch body. The reason was for this was for me to do a full 7 or 8 inches of suspension lift, I was going to have to get rebuilt driveshafts, dropped pitman arm, trac bar and so on. The closer you can keep the frame with the vehicle, the cheaper it is basically, but looks worse. Stay in the 4" lift range with 33s-35s at most. You'll thank us later lol

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Right now I have 315.75.16 bfg all terrains. I plan on getting whatever is best for wet traction (ps any tips for that lol) they are not good for wet traction, I live on the coast and they were on my truck when I got it, and I spin a little when I start when it's wet, which is just about always and I have to ease out and then grandma drive to not spin, yes I have nothing in my bed so no weight on the rear axle doesnt help any. I want to get some sweet wheels and probably go with 35's, open to suggestions. I know people run 37's on some 6 inch take lifts but is that just preforance or what Should be ran?

Hope you regeared your axles to deal with those big tires. Dont put any bigger tires on the half ton axles. Gear ratio should be 4.56, anything less is insufficient and will harm the driveline long term... 35's on the stock half ton axles sucks, donno how people can enjoy replacing front end parts so much IMO.

For a 4-6" lift you need longer front springs, shocks, track bar drop bracket, pitman arm drop, and rear AAL's. Dont stack blocks whatever you do... Whats your long term goals? If you want to go to bigger then 35" tires Id look swapping axles to D60's. For 37's you would need min 7" lift to clear properly, 4.88 gears and the Dana 60's. Steering would need to be upgraded too...

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Okay, so say I got a 4 inch lift And stayed 35, which is what I was thinking more towards, what would be good suspension wise?

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
I don't have really LONG term goals with this truck, but I don't see myself with another within maybe a year at least. I would like to upgrade it some and part of that be suspension and a lift, and I think I don't want to go any bigger then 35's

First truck, 150k miles, not going to keep it forever but I want to enjoy it, because while I save money this is what I got ya know

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay, so say I got a 4 inch lift And stayed 35, which is what I was thinking more towards, what would be good suspension wise?

Wont clear on 4", 5" minimum for 35's or youll rub. Need wheels with proper back spacing and offset as well though I dont have specs for you.

I don't have really LONG term goals with this truck, but I don't see myself with another within maybe a year at least. I would like to upgrade it some and part of that be suspension and a lift, and I think I don't want to go any bigger then 35's

First truck, 150k miles, not going to keep it forever but I want to enjoy it, because while I save money this is what I got ya know

So you want to keep it at least a few years? Need to know what ya wanna do, cause theres no point in you lifting and gearing for 35's, then having to buy more lift to fit 37's and then regear again for them. If 35's are what you want to do Id go for the 5" suspension lift. Highly recommend long control arms over short. Expensive but way worth it. What gear ratio do you have now, do you know? If its not an ORE I assume stock 3.55... BTW what width rims do you have the 35's on now? Hope not stock wheels....

dannydiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 dodge ram regular cab
Engine
5.2 v8 magnum
Hope you regeared your axles to deal with those big tires. Dont put any bigger tires on the half ton axles. Gear ratio should be 4.56, anything less is insufficient and will harm the driveline long term... 35's on the stock half ton axles sucks, donno how people can enjoy replacing front end parts so much IMO.

For a 4-6" lift you need longer front springs, shocks, track bar drop bracket, pitman arm drop, and rear AAL's. Dont stack blocks whatever you do... Whats your long term goals? If you want to go to bigger then 35" tires Id look swapping axles to D60's. For 37's you would need min 7" lift to clear properly, 4.88 gears and the Dana 60's. Steering would need to be upgraded too...

yea....ive been running 35" on my dodge for about a year now, on and off road, i never did an axle swap or regeared. i never did any repairs and it still drives straight and arrow.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yea....ive been running 35" on my dodge for about a year now, on and off road, i never did an axle swap or regeared. i never did any repairs and it still drives straight and arrow.

You need the gears, its to hard on the driveline other wise. You'll blow the rear end or trans.... It might not happen immediately, I did specify long term, but it will happen with those tires. I would check your front end because theres no way you've gone a year with 35's on a D44 and nothing has worn out. I had them on 3 months and went through 4 ball joints, 1 hub and a track bar. I could not take my hand off the wheel at all without going all over the road. None of these trucks drive straight as an arrow with big tires on them on stock half ton axles.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
I would like to get a newer truck, say 3rd gen but that won't be for a year at least. And I plan on do 35's at MOST. Not sure of the gear ratio, but the guy had it set up to haul. The wheels right now are American racing wheels, not aure what size but I wanna say 12.50. My truck does have a little pull to the right, and I feel like my teuck Ian't running as good as when I got it. I plan on getting it checked out (don't think anything's really wrong, but it sounds whiney, not a real truck sound) the previous owner didn't say anything about an axle swap but theres an air ride deal in the back and when I don't keep some air in there it feels like my truck is slamming down when I drive over pretty normal road teansitiobs, so I keep air in it all the time.

And p.s. I really want to have a nice, cool truck but I want it to run good and I got 150k miles so I don't want to do anything to it if it's not running prime, because with 150k miles I mine as well get rid did it and get something with lower miles, because if I keep it and do stuff too it who wants to buy a badass truck with say 200k+ miles?

Open to any suggestions, I thought about getting a car not too long ago but having a truck is just better, gas is more but it's worth it. It isn't fun getting a nice car dirty lol but a truck, I love gettin dirty and cleaning it! And I can load up a bike and quad and go mob and have fun, so truck is definetly what I will kelp. The only question is what truck, like I said I'll have this for at least a year unless I decide I want to just try and get a newer year, say a 3rd gen. I want a 4 door, and preferably white (I dig the white a lot) but that's not the winning factor.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Sorry for the typos, damn phone auto corrects what I spelt correctly and puts some random ****.

And just to give a topic for another truck since that's a possibilty if my truck isn't worth keepin, I am looking towards the quad cab 2500 3rd gen, I am debating on diesel or gas and maybe the package? What versions do you guys perfer? And how does the 3rd gen compare to 2nd?

All opinions and thoughts welcome, love them facts though

Last edited:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would like to get a newer truck, say 3rd gen but that won't be for a year at least. And I plan on do 35's at MOST. Not sure of the gear ratio, but the guy had it set up to haul. The wheels right now are American racing wheels, not aure what size but I wanna say 12.50. My truck does have a little pull to the right, and I feel like my teuck Ian't running as good as when I got it. I plan on getting it checked out (don't think anything's really wrong, but it sounds whiney, not a real truck sound) the previous owner didn't say anything about an axle swap but theres an air ride deal in the back and when I don't keep some air in there it feels like my truck is slamming down when I drive over pretty normal road teansitiobs, so I keep air in it all the time.

I wouldnt bother lifting or doing tires if you dont plan on keeping it. Svave the money for the new truck... Prioritize your money dont just lift this truck for the sake of lifting if you're not gonna keep it dont spend the money. For gear ratio open your glove box up and the tag in there will tell you. Theres a physical way to tell as well, just go on youtube and search around. Aftermarket is a good sign, for a 12.5" wide tire I would do smaller then an 8.5" wide wheel, preferably 9". You should not go over 3" in the tire width to rim width ratio. Did that get across right? For the pull, check your ball joints, wheel hub bearings and the track bar. Wheres the whine coming from? 5 bolt axles are stock half ton axles: Dana 44 and Chrysler 9.25. 8 bolt would most likely be Dodge Dana 60 axles. I dont know a whole lot about air ride suspension but that sounds right if theres no air in them... Hopefully someone else will chime in.

And p.s. I really want to have a nice, cool truck but I want it to run good and I got 150k miles so I don't want to do anything to it if it's not running prime, because with 150k miles I mine as well get rid did it and get something with lower miles, because if I keep it and do stuff too it who wants to buy a badass truck with say 200k+ miles?

To me, sounds like you should just not bother lifting this one and just save for your next truck. I had a dakota before this truck that I really wanted to lift, but I didnt because I had no plans to keep the truck. Would have been just a pure waste of money.

Open to any suggestions, I thought about getting a car not too long ago but having a truck is just better, gas is more but it's worth it. It isn't fun getting a nice car dirty lol but a truck, I love gettin dirty and cleaning it! And I can load up a bike and quad and go mob and have fun, so truck is definetly what I will kelp. The only question is what truck, like I said I'll have this for at least a year unless I decide I want to just try and get a newer year, say a 3rd gen. I want a 4 door, and preferably white (I dig the white a lot) but that's not the winning factor.

I hear you, trucks are just so much.... Ill use the word "better" then cars. I think you need to sit down and do some thinking. You need to figure out what you want to do. Sounds to me like you really want something newer. If you do, theres really no point in doing anything to this one. I know I keep saying that but I just want the point to get across. The only other thing to remember is if you go 3rd gen you can get a hemi with 350hp stock and 375 ft/ibs stock. They are independant front suspension as well, much smoother ride then the straight axle, but garbage for any offroad use. Sit down and think man, you dont have to come up with a decision immediately! Take some time figure out what you want to do in the future thats feasible. After that we can proceed :)

My answers to your questions are in red and bold.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry for the typos, damn phone auto corrects what I spelt correctly and puts some random ****.

And just to give a topic for another truck since that's a possibilty if my truck isn't worth keepin, I am looking towards the quad cab 2500 3rd gen, I am debating on diesel or gas and maybe the package? What versions do you guys perfer? And how does the 3rd gen compare to 2nd?

All opinions and thoughts welcome, love them facts though

Lol gotta love auto correct.

You yourself need to decide if its worth keeping. Thats not up to us. A 2500 is way better then the 1500's, much more heavy duty and come with a straight axle from the factory :D Why diesel? Are you going to work it and use it for what it is? No point if your not........... A hemi would be more than enough to move that truck. Remember diesels cost A LOT more to maintain (so ive heard, no experience as Ive never owned a diesel), fuel costs more and parts cost more then gassers. Asking what gen we prefer is a bad question here, you're in the 2nd gen section lmao. Of course were gonna say 2nd gen :p I think you should go look up and learn about the 3rd gens and decide for yourself how they compare.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Yeah, I think I'm going to just save for another truck, I want to mostly start on a truck with low miles and mod her out nice, enjoy it ya know. I'd love a 4th gen (lLOVe that body shape) but it's out of my budget right now.

I don't want a truck that's an off-road monster because it'll be a daily driver, but when I do want to off-road I want it to be able to handle, I want it to look awesome (don't we all) the way I think it'd look awesome ya know

No matter what, I want a truck with low miles I can rely on and will have for a while, and I think a 3rd gen would potentially give me some more then a 2nd gen.
This IS the 2nd gen thread, any reasons Anyone would prefer a 2nd over a 3rd?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
3rd gens aren't bad trucks if you get one that hasn't been beat to **** by a PO. My main gripe about 3rd gens is the IFS front end in the 1500s and the seat cushions. Yes, seat cushions. :D