Wheel bearings.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubbabp13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 99 ram 1500 with 5" rough country lift kit sitting on 35" cooper stt pros. I'm now replacing wheel bearings on a constant basis. I have all moog parts on the entire front end. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well...nobody answered because this is common on 2nd gens. Bigger , and therefore heavier tires, bashing into rocks and curbs, take their toll on the plastic cages that suspend the bearing slugs in the housing. Cheap white grease is the usual lubricant...you get the picture.

I'd probably suggest for anyone who reads this, that cheap hub bearings don't last very long. The 2nd problem is that expensive hub bearings don't last a whole lot longer.

Spin free offers a kit that replace these bearings with actual tapered bearings and give you the bonus of locking hubs. They're not cheap, but good bearings with metal cages tend to take a bigger load. You can drill the hub casting and tap for a grease zerk so you can add grease and drive out moisture. The locking hubs decrease load forces, make using a front locker easier and likely offer a small mileage increase.

Downsides: These kits will not work with factory rims. They widen your front track width slightly.

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=9892&Brand=Yukon_Gear_and_Axle

https://www.amazon.com/YA-WU-02-Loc...u_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Dodge|40&Model=Ram 1500|2760&Year=2000

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
EMS Offroad also sells a really nice it to do so. I run their solid passenger side shaft and the 2 together would be great.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I would have mentioned EMS...actually I did but I took the information off because they show out of stock. I don't know if EMS will be making them anymore.
It's not a big secret. The parts used are Ford based. If I could find the part most of the parts would be pretty easy to duplicate...unless something has to be custom machined.

Last edited: