Where to start??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 with a 4in lift on it. I'm wondering what parts I should start with to freshen up the underbody. I want it to look good. Maybe replacing some parts. Adding new ones. What can I use to shine up rusting parts. Any suggestions. Trying to turn an old truck like new, just don't know where to start with things. Also what would help with smoothing the ride a little. I know it's going to be bumpy. But right now it feels like my truck is a rock on wheels driving down the street.

Attachments

• 20150826_165626.jpg
    20150826_165626.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 80

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can wire brush all the rusty **** to get the loose stuff off, post wash it, use rust reformer, and then use chassis paint. Won't hold up forever but every 3-4 months wash it and hit it with more paint and it'll look pretty good

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jackson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Okay what about parts. I was thinking maybe dual shocks maybe some thing to make the underbody stand out. Want the truck to ride a little smoother also.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Dual shocks and ride smoother don't fit in the same sentence.

If you wanna make the underbody stand out a little more, frame paint like i previously suggested, new shocks, painted or new aftermarket differential covers. Powder coated springs look good or any suspension/steering parts.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay what about parts. I was thinking maybe dual shocks maybe some thing to make the underbody stand out. Want the truck to ride a little smoother also.

I just found out the hard way about dual shocks. If you enjoy your teeth, don't do it. First time hitting a speed bump at anything over 10 you'll knock every tooth you've got out of your mouth.

Do as peppy said. Get a wire brush and the wire bits you stick in a drill and go to town. Clean it all up, spray some Upol Por15 on the underside to seal and prevent anymore rust from happening. Find a color theme for your truck and start painting suspension components. Plastidip is a great source for non-permanent testing. Spray parts with it, if you hate how it looks, then peel it off and you know not to get it painted or powder coated for long term use.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Omg dual shocks can ride great if you get a set that are valved right!!!! So ignore that statement.

Por 15 is a good product if you prep the parts right and use there primer, no primer and its not that good of product. Once you have it looking good spray the under side of it down with Fluidflim **** works great and helps keep rust at bay.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No properly valved shocks cost no more than a reg shock.:flipthebird:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Plastidip is a great source for non-permanent testing. Spray parts with it, if you hate how it looks, then peel it off and you know not to get it painted or powder coated for long term use.

I wouldn't use plastidip. On these trucks the underbody isn't exactly smooth. Any texture and that stuff doesn't come off for ****. I found that out the hard way

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't use plastidip. On these trucks the underbody isn't exactly smooth. Any texture and that stuff doesn't come off for ****. I found that out the hard way

I was talking wheels and exterior parts.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I was talking wheels and exterior parts.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I tried doing the black plastics on my truck in black because they were faded as all hell. Well after a couple months the plastidip went to hell too and then I couldn't get it off.

Smooth smooth surface for anything plastidipped ie paint, glass, non textured plastic...lol