01 Ram 1500 Front End Squeak/Squeal????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daredevil95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, i have a 2001 Ram 1500 4X2 with a horrible front end squeak on the driver's side front tire. I pulled the tire and the squeak went away. With weight on the tire it squeaks and I can't find anything broken or loose. What the heck is this and where is it coming from?? I made a short vid of the sound and hopefully someone will know what this is???? There is nothing wrong with the steering or any bangs or knocks coming from the front end. It steers perfectly straight so, just an annoying squeak. Let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDzJuMaJn4

bananahamikthe1st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Sounds like either a bad bushing or joint..or the worse sounding steering stabilizer ever...my money is on those ball joints..which I assume is what your greasing when the sound goes away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
What part are you spraying the grease on when it goes away..

OP
OP
daredevil95

daredevil95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like either a bad bushing or joint..or the worse sounding steering stabilizer ever...my money is on those ball joints..which I assume is what your greasing when the sound goes away

I sprayed pretty much everything, the up/lower spring seats all of the suspension and outside the ball joints. I bought this truck new and those ball joints have looked like that for at least 12 years so, IDK? I guess i could change everything including the original shocks but, heck, I was hoping someone else experienced this before. Thanks

OP
OP
daredevil95

daredevil95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What part are you spraying the grease on when it goes away..
I pretty much sprayed everything with WD40 the first time including both sides of the spring and up into the shock and it went away for a couple weeks then came back, the white stuff you see in the video is white lithium WD40 grease I used at a friends house and it cleared up the squeak for a couple weeks but, back again and I'm tired of spraying crap on it and want to fix it. As you probably know, we dodge owners hate going to a shop to pay for work so, I gotta figure it out and I would hate just replace everything......which is still cheaper then bringing it to a shop to fix the one problem. IDK....I'll keep trying. Thanks for the response

bananahamikthe1st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Could try greasing one thing at a time until it goes away.

OP
OP
daredevil95

daredevil95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm gonna guess at the ball joints being the issue. Any recommendation for what/where to buy the ball joints?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
autozone, autovalue. Really any place that sells a brand you trust. Most all autozone duralast parts are moog private label parts. They are easy to change, 3 bolts and 4 bolts (cant remember which one is upper and lower). I got both sides replaced in about 2 hours. Technically you need an alignment afterwards, but I replaced mine and went in to have the alignment checked at work and it came back perfect.

OP
OP
daredevil95

daredevil95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
autozone, autovalue. Really any place that sells a brand you trust. Most all autozone duralast parts are moog private label parts. They are easy to change, 3 bolts and 4 bolts (cant remember which one is upper and lower). I got both sides replaced in about 2 hours. Technically you need an alignment afterwards, but I replaced mine and went in to have the alignment checked at work and it came back perfect.

I ordered all 4 from RockAuto for $122. The ball joint is mevotech and the online reviews say there pretty good and comparable to Raybestos ball joints. So, I'll see how these go and if they are crap then at least I have the rivets drilled out and all I need to do is unbolt and replace.....easy!