Which 2G Sport Bumper Brackets (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
I know, I know... Beaten to death in forum land, but I still have no exact answer to my question: Which of these brackets for the 2nd gen Ram do I NEED to install my 99 Sport front bumper cover and reinforcement bar on my 98 Laramie? (Please type the numbers I will need, obviously not the first two brackets that aren't numbered):

image-10.jpg

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
3 and 4 are what I have on my 01 Sport. They connect the bumper support to the frame. The plastic bumper cover then clips at the top in several locations and is held at the bottom by screws. 5 is connected to the ends (one on the right and one on the left) of the support and the bumper cover also bolts to that at the wheel wells. I have a pic of my support with the cover off, but will have to post it later as I'm not next to my computer at the moment.

Edit: I'm not sure if 99 sport cover is the same though or if it at least connects the same. I can try to clear that up when I get home and can look at a manual I have there.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thought I had more pics of my bumper support, but this is the only one I can find along with an exploded view of the bumper cover and parts needed.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 772
  • Sport Bumper Exploded.jpg
    Sport Bumper Exploded.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,155
OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
3 and 4 are what I have on my 01 Sport. They connect the bumper support to the frame. The plastic bumper cover then clips at the top in several locations and is held at the bottom by screws. 5 is connected to the ends (one on the right and one on the left) of the support and the bumper cover also bolts to that at the wheel wells. I have a pic of my support with the cover off, but will have to post it later as I'm not next to my computer at the moment.

Edit: I'm not sure if 99 sport cover is the same though or if it at least connects the same. I can try to clear that up when I get home and can look at a manual I have there.

Thanks! Great info and pics right there @kpd12. So it seems I would need 3 & 4 as the main brackets for my reinforcement bar for sure, and 5 would be used as brace supports for the ends of the bumper. Now, seeing as my website only lists #5 as "left side" and no right side, for the outer braces, would #5 "left side" be the same as the one that's supposed to go on the "right side"? I guess my question would be;
Is the #5 left side outer brace on your sport truck identical to the outer brace on the right side, and maybe that's why a "right side" isn't listed and I should buy two #5's ?

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No worries. Just as the inner brackets have a right and left side, so do the outer brackets, they are not the same for the right and the left. I am not sure why your page doesn't show the one for the right side, unless they just don't have them in stock. Try here Sport Bumper Parts

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
No worries. Just as the inner brackets have a right and left side, so do the outer brackets, they are not the same for the right and the left. I am not sure why your page doesn't show the one for the right side, unless they just don't have them in stock. Try here Sport Bumper Parts

Thanks again for the quick replies and useful information. It seems that my site probably just doesn't have the right side outer brace in stock. I will most likely be ordering the part from LMCtruck.com even though it's $10 more than my site. I appreciate the help and will update this thread on my progress, with install pics, and hope to make this the "be all, end all" "get to the point" thread for the parts required for the 2nd gen ram sport bumper conversion. Thanks again,

-eSCAPEist

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sure thing, glad I could help

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 98 Sport Bumper/Grill is completely different than the 99-01 Sport Bumper/Grill.

Reactions: Mop

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The 98 Sport Bumper/Grill is completely different than the 99-01 Sport Bumper/Grill.

But he's installing a 99 Sport Bumper so he'd need the brackets for that year range. Are the support brackets different though?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do think the brackets for the 99-01 sport bumpers are different than 98 sport bumpers. I was trying to point out was that if the OP is putting on a 99 sport bumper on a 98, he should put a 99-01 sport grill on as well or it will not look right. The 98 sport grill is flat on the bottom, the 99-01 is contoured to match the sport bumper.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gotcha and definitely agree. Very good point

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
I do think the brackets for the 99-01 sport bumpers are different than 98 sport bumpers. I was trying to point out was that if the OP is putting on a 99 sport bumper on a 98, he should put a 99-01 sport grill on as well or it will not look right. The 98 sport grill is flat on the bottom, the 99-01 is contoured to match the sport bumper.

Thanks for the insight - the 1999+ Sport grille was already in the plan, the info will help other readers that may stumble upon this thread, although it the 94-98 standard grill will work if you don't mind a gap at the top of the 99+ sport bumper, but that would bug the heck out of me! I always live by the saying: "Do it once, do it right." Thanks again fella's,

-eSCAPEist

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Old thread brought back to life! I know on my old sport, it was the two u-shaped brackets that you had on your original post as #5 that rusted away for me. They are like $30 each or so if I remember right.

Did you ever get it fixed?

Coldsteel5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L magnum
Resurrecting an old thread... I am replacing a few brackets and reinforcement piece for my 01 dodge. I found the brackets I needed and the reinforcement piece, but the screws that hold the top clip (#3) that clips the cover on were rusted and stripped out (part #4 & #5 in attached photo) Does anyone know where I can order these? Already been to a few local junk yards and had no luck.

Sport Bumper Exploded.jpg

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
Are those speed nuts? If so they have a blister pack of five or so at the local auto parts store for under four bucks. The pretty much have all the fasteners in the self help section. Or are those special fasteners?