9004 vs. 9007 headlight bulb wiring/issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I recently bought a set of ebay black housing, clear lens headlamps for my '94 to replace the horribly oxidized and nearly busted 22 year old factory headlights. Since the new lamps are of the same design as OEM just with clear lenses and black housing I assumed the swap would be pretty straight forward. Wrong.

My truck is a '94 and came with 9004 headlight bulbs but they new lamps take a 9007 which I am assuming the 98+ non-sport trucks take. I know the two bulbs are supposedly the same except for the alignment slots and pinout. I swapped two wires on the pigtail and installed new 9007 bulbs. The high beam functions perfectly now but something seems off still. I am getting a half lit high beam indicator on the dash when the low beam is on and the low beam seems rather dim. Maybe it's my imagination since my daily is a 2015 Mustang GT and has bi-xenon headlights and LED fogs.

Any input? :favorites13:

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
To anyone who stumbles upon this thread in a future search:

I figured out my problem. I switched the wrong wires. When I looked up the wiring for the two bulbs online I found what turned out to be a diagram for the bulb side (for an aftermarket HID kit), not the harness side. I switched the wires around again and viola.

So if anyone has this issue in the future...swap the middle wire(low beam) with the black wire(ground) and your problem will be solved.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You could also have just plugged in 9004s lol.9004 and 9007 housings are the same. Only trucks to use 9007 are the 99+ sports with the quad bulb front end.

I'm actually running a 9007 harness with my projector retrofit

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You could also have just plugged in 9004s lol.9004 and 9007 housings are the same. Only trucks to use 9007 are the 99+ sports with the quad bulb front end.

I hate Dodge for making my life confusing, there are two bulbs in my headlight ass. One is a combo high/low, the other seems to be just a high. Now instead of buying one set of LEDs for my headlights, i've got to buy two, or just not use the inner high beams.

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318

Actually you are only half right. The low beam and ground wires are crossed plus the slots that line the bulbs up in the housing are spaced differently. My problem started when I couldn't aim the headlights correctly. I eventually figured out that the 9007 bulbs don't line up the same as 9004. When I swapped the bulbs out is when I started having the electrical problem. Current flow was reversed for the low beam signal. I'm surprised I didn't blow a fuse or short a relay.