For all you northern/ snowy state guys, canada you too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
What do you use to combat or mitigate the rust that's under your rides? What about an existing problem where the was rust to begin with lie buying a used ride?
Mine is not corroded but it's looks like a light surface rust in most of the places under the truck.

I've thought about soda/media blasting but there's wires, hoses and moving parts that I don't want to mess up.

Any information would be great.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a new truck just keep it as clean as possible until rust starts to appear anyway. Then 50-50 mix of wd-40 and tranny fluid in a spray bottle. WD alone won't last, but will carry the tranny fluid everywhere and help it penetrate. Spray the undercarriage liberally once a year each fall. Do it in the street, not your driveway, and don't park in your driveway for a couple days.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
On a new truck just keep it as clean as possible until rust starts to appear anyway. Then 50-50 mix of wd-40 and tranny fluid in a spray bottle. WD alone won't last, but will carry the tranny fluid everywhere and help it penetrate. Spray the undercarriage liberally once a year each fall. Do it in the street, not your driveway, and don't park in your driveway for a couple days.

Something wise you can do is pot used motor oil in a spray bottle and cost the sheet metal up under the rockers and fenders then drive down a dry dirt road to kick up some dust and cake it on.

Personally now that the rust on my cab corners and rockers has steered getting a lot worse I've quit caring until I can properly fix it

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have tried many a product to help slow rust. Best thing I have found so far is Fluid Film, spray it everywhere you can in the fall while its still warm out so it flows a bit better. Its almost like spray bees wax.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have tried many a product to help slow rust. Best thing I have found so far is Fluid Film, spray it everywhere you can in the fall while its still warm out so it flows a bit better. Its almost like spray bees wax.

Fluid film is king!

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8

What about existing rust, would that slow it down?

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
fluid film^^^ and i wash my truck at least once per week in the winter. for rust prone areas like cab corners you can use 3m film and cover it and that prevents rock chips that can lead to rusting. i have 3m wrap on the front of my hood and my cab corners and its amazing!

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just try to wash my truck often. Luckily when I bought mine the underside was spotless, so the cleaned that up and sprayed rubberized undercoating under the cab and that stopped the rust. My bed is rusted on both sides, hate chrome trim...I tried spraying chemicals to stop rust and I didn't help me lol but that's my luck

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live on Alberta and at Petro Canada I buy a winter wash pkg. I usually get in the last day of December and it last for 3 months. My truck get washed every day for 3 months. Keeps the rust at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01rammer1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just keep it washed. I wash it probably twice a week. I also have it oil undercoated. I usually have it coated in the spring and in the fall. My truck was a garage kept truck when i bought it. It had holes in the bottom of the drivers door and a few small pimple sized bubbles on the bed and fenders. I sanded them down and painted over them with por15. And put fender flares on. I get compliments all the the time about how clean of a truck it is. Around here second gen dodges are rotten beyond repair.

notlownf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an undercoating sprayed under the entire thing and I will probably do it every other year

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
I lived in northeast ohio for 15 years, my 2007 nissan frontier lived there for most of it's life.. I would get a car wash in the winter... maybe once a month or so. No signs of rust, no undercoating. Same with the vehicles prior to that. This is my first Ram so maybe Chevy and Nissan protect bodies better than Chrysler.

when I first moved to Ohio I did a lot of research on undercoating/sacrificial anodes, etc.. and every reliable source I could fine said with newer vehicles it's a complete waste of money. I don't regret my decision to not undercoat.

That being said.. I live in the desert now so not really an issue..

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
We line-x our trucks in Idaho and N Nevada since they like to chip seal their roads. Keeps rust out and protects from all the flying debri

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I get my car rust proofed at Krown once a year. Been doing so since I bought it. The previous owner did as well so I just kept up with it. And since I've been a loyal customer I get a locked in price of $100 for my car if I give straight cash. Gonna do my Ram this year too. Though trucks usually cost more to do so I'm thinking it'll cost me around $120 - $130, (CAD).

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ Yeah that's about the going rate, if you have CAA you'll get an extra 10% off that as well.

I get all my vehicles done at Krown once a year as well. I swear by that stuff.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How much that cost you?
The krown treatment cost $125 for the first time and will cost $100 per year to have it done again. They knocked probably 50 bucks total off the cost though because i got the bedliner done at the same time which basically covered sales tax.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam