Alternate spare mounting locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Previous owner added an exhaust that made it impossible to mount the spare tire under the bed. Looking for ideas or options for where to mount it or something I can fab up to mount it.

I'm not opposed to mounting it in the bed but I do fill it up semi regularly and would like to minimize the amount of space lost.

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ehh fill it with some run flat and keep on truckin

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just make yourself one of those safari cab protectors that start at the front bumper and turn into a roof rack. I think that would look pretty cool, plus you could add a nice set of train horns to it.

Or mount it to the front bumper.

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Just make yourself one of those safari cab protectors that start at the front bumper and turn into a roof rack. I think that would look pretty cool, plus you could add a nice set of train horns to it.

Or mount it to the front bumper.
I am feeling this front bumper idea

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mount in on the tailgate like a jeep. Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr change the exhaust piping

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Meatball12

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. My spare tire DOES fit under the bed but it is snug between the 2 exhaust pipes.
Would some of that high temp wrap that you can buy for headers be something to look into or am I just crazy.

2. Im not too familiar with bending exhaust pipe but that would be the most desirable option. Any tricks to it or is it just heat and bend.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
1. My spare tire DOES fit under the bed but it is snug between the 2 exhaust pipes.
Would some of that high temp wrap that you can buy for headers be something to look into or am I just crazy.

2. Im not too familiar with bending exhaust pipe but that would be the most desirable option. Any tricks to it or is it just heat and bend.

I trust those heat shields to keep wiring and tubing safe, not a large rubber doughnut that could be hauling the weight of my truck one day.

Saying that, if you don't check and inspect your spare regularly, go ahead, it might fail the first time you use it anyway.

Bending exhaust pipe is usually done cold, but it can be done hot in order to get tighter bends. You will need a bending jig however. Shops have metal jigs with a bunch of pieces that allow them to create just about any shape or bend.

You can make your own jig out of 2x4s and plywood, just look up DIY pipe bending. You can get a section of pipe and play around with it. Wood is cheap, and a section of exhaust tubing isn't very expensive.

In the end its a gamble. You spend a little money trying to bend it yourself and either succeed or fail. If you fail, the cost of having a shop do it just got a little more expensive, but you are already looking at 250$+ for duals. Or you succeed and save a ton of money doing it yourself for the rest of your life.

In a way, working on our own cars is a gamble, even the simplest of repairs can go wrong and cost hundreds or thousands. Most of the time if a shop screws it up you can make them fix it at no additional cost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963