any tips on doing body work in winter below freezing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NStruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HI
so I have a problem , I need to get my truck through provincial safety next month and i discovered while fixing a few patches that the rocker panels are shot . I have ordered a couple slip on replacement panels , and i have a flux core welder so I can stick them on . however there is a spot underneath that will be very hard / impossible to get the welding gun into . I was thinking I would use fiberglass to patch up the hole but the temps here are going to be below freezing and i am concerned that the fiberglass and body filler will not set up . I also want to use body-filler to smooth out and feather the repair to the panels .
any tips on how to do this in below freezing conditions would be appreciated . The temps should not be stupidly cold probably - 5C .

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
You can try to prepare your filler in a room where the temperature is around 64°, using more hardener than usually. Then heat a little the part to be filled with a hot air blower, apply the filler and fiberglass, and keep the part around 64-70° for a while, till the filler begins to get hard. After that, put the filled part under a cover, it should finish hardening. I know this not a conventional way of working, but I tried once, and it worked...

Stewi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A good heat lamp or portable electric heater pointed at the repaired area will help significantly.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Best bet is to rent a shop for a night and day. Welding on repair panels is old tech these days, check out 3m's auto panel adhesive.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good heat lamp or portable electric heater pointed at the repaired area will help significantly.

This. You can pickup heat guns for pretty cheap, just heat the area up, as stated before use a little more hardener in the mix, apply and use the heat gun over the filler until it hardens.

Best bet is to rent a shop for a night and day. Welding on repair panels is old tech these days, check out 3m's auto panel adhesive.

I used it quite a bit in the past when I was working in the auto body field. It works awesome with full panel replacements, however not the best solution for patch panels (cab corners, fender wells, etc). It can be used, and I've done it before, but it ultimately I'd prefer to weld the panels in when it comes to rust repair like that.

Just make sure you stitch weld it, otherwise you'll have a long road ahead of you with body filler if you warp the panels. Ask me how I know :roflsquared:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Using more hardener in the mix is NOT right, it will make it brittle and weak. As a fiber-glassier for way to many year working on boats I am very familiar with it and how it is to be used. And fiberglass is not for metal repairs at all.

Most of the body shops have moved away from welding, its messy, makes for much more work. I have used the adhesive with great success over the last few years. Even used the right product to attach my cab mounts to the body.

Quote: Just make sure you stitch weld it, otherwise you'll have a long road ahead of you with body filler if you warp the panels. Ask me how I know

No problem if u use the adhesive now is there lol.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using more hardener in the mix is NOT right, it will make it brittle and weak. As a fiber-glassier for way to many year working on boats I am very familiar with it and how it is to be used. And fiberglass is not for metal repairs at all.

Most of the body shops have moved away from welding, its messy, makes for much more work. I have used the adhesive with great success over the last few years. Even used the right product to attach my cab mounts to the body.

Quote: Just make sure you stitch weld it, otherwise you'll have a long road ahead of you with body filler if you warp the panels. Ask me how I know

No problem if u use the adhesive now is there lol.

I missed the fiberglass part, I thought he was talking body filler.

And tbh I haven't been in a body shop in around 6 years, so things have probably changed ha.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
***** come along way, I had to update big time. I just dabble in body work these days, just do my own work and some for very good friends. If someone wants me to do marine glass work they better have a full wallet and bank account lol, I ******* hate glass work grinding that **** sucks hard.

A few pix just cause. Rusted out mounts to new/used mounts lol pita work lol.

Attachments

• 2013-10-24_13-28-00_42.jpg
    2013-10-24_13-28-00_42.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 67
  • 2014-06-30_11-06-09_875.jpg
    2014-06-30_11-06-09_875.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2014-06-30_11-06-23_563.jpg
    2014-06-30_11-06-23_563.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 61
  • old cab mount.jpg
    old cab mount.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 57

mechanicmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Very true. I'm currently in college learning auto body repair & now am I-CAR certified. Adhesives are the new thing. But here's a question I need help with.
Will a 96 standard cab 2wd ENTIRE CAB BOTTOM fit under a 99 standard cab 4wd?
And if so, would adhesives be the way to go, or should it be welded on?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would weld in that situation. Lot of weight to support to use a glue/adhesive. Just my opinion, i don't trust it that much for that kinda situation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn