Any tips on replacing window gaskets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zervun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So on my 2001 Dodge quad cab the front window felt/seals are deteriorating and getting some light mold on them.

So I purchased some replacements from LMC because I want to get my front windows tinted soon.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything - I'm looking for advice on how to get these replaced and if i need to use any sealant (such as the 3m window sealant.

fyRdKwa.png

I have both the drip strips and the ones that go around the window for each side.

Unfortunately on the drivers side I "high end audioed" it up a while back and sealed it with Rammatt dampening material of multiple layers when I replaced the speakers so I'm assuming I am going to have to peel that off a bit to get access.

I did look in the service manuals but I didn't find any specifics on the seals.

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
The seals should just pull off. The felt piece is just pushed into the channel.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yes Micchi is 100% correct, I did mine last week. Very easy, no sealant required, just give it a pull and it will pop out of the channel, just make sure the channel is clean before you put the new ones in.

OP
OP
Z

Zervun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks guys, I'm assuming that just rolling down the windows is enough? Do I have to take the window out?

I'm also assuming I have to pop the door panel off

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its easiest to remove the door panel. I believe you are able to replace all the seals without removing the window. If you can't, you don't need to remove the window all the way, just remove the two or three bolts holding the window to the regulator then let the window slide down and rest. I'd recommend a pillow or a towel if you're unbolting the window from the regulator. I've never replaced one on our trucks, but i've replaced quite a few on cars, if you don't hold or support the window, they will fall down into the bottom of the door.