Anyone replaced their door hinge bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to replace the door hinge bushings on my driver's door hinges on my 95 Ram 2500 SLT standard cab. I know I could find better hinges but I don't want to get into all the trouble of taking apart the ebrake and dash to get the hinge assemblies out.

I'd like to remove the door and rebuild the hinges "on the truck". I just did this on my 73 Chevelle SS and it went fine, however the spring location is different, and such that my spring compressor tool (looks like a skinny rectangular clamshell) doesn't fit within the space to get the Dodge spring off. I've already tried with the door removed, and fender still on, with the upper hinge in the "wide open" door position, and still can't fit the compressor tool.

Has anyone done this type of hinge rebuild "on the truck" and have any pointers, especially with getting the coil spring removed to facilitate the replacing of the pin and bushings?

OP
OP
clanceman427

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I didn't find any Dodge specific tools, but was talking it over with one of the guys who works at the Pep Boys and he mentioned something like some snap ring pliers, or something like that, then led me to the oversized 90° pliers, and I thought "hmm that just might work"... Well, it did! I was able to use those pliers to get the spring out. I tied the spring to the plier arms with lock wire for safety in case it slipped (it didn't). Getting it back in was a little tricky but basically if you get the spring started in the area, you can use the same pliers to squeeze it down a little while knocking it into it's final home with a hammer. I ended up buying 2 bushing kits from the store since there was not one kit that had both bushing sizes (both the I.D. and O.D. of the bushings are different when you look at the upper hinge assembly, and the factory pin has 2 different diameters. I put it back together with new bushings along with the factory pin. Works great!

Attachments

• IMAG2042.jpg
    IMAG2042.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG2043.jpg
    IMAG2043.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG2044.jpg
    IMAG2044.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG2045.jpg
    IMAG2045.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG2048.jpg
    IMAG2048.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
clanceman427

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
... and the final step of getting the spring back in after replacing the bushings. NOTE: the easiest position of the hinge is when it's in the fully closed position. Especially if the fender is still on the truck, like mine is.

Attachments

• IMAG2049.jpg
    IMAG2049.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 24

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Awesome work man. I've never thought of rebuilding the hinge like that. Thanks a ton for posting your work on here.

OP
OP
clanceman427

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! If you decide to do it, I did notice that there are rebuild kits online for both straight and tapered pin hinge designs, so knowing what you have might allow you to simply order the correct kit online. Since I was buying the stuff "on the fly" at the parts store yesterday I was at the mercy of what they had in stock so I had mix and match to get the right bushings doe my tapered pin design hinge.

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea you can buy both straight and taper kits on rockauto for something like 10$, That being said I need to do it to mine and don't know if it matters or what difference it would make using the straight/ taper.. any insight :)?

OP
OP
clanceman427

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Charles, you need to know which design you have so that you get the rignt parts. The tapered pin design uses 2 different diameters on the pin, so there's a larger bushing for the bottom of the hinge assembly and a smaller one for the top of the hinge assembly. A straight pin design uses the same diamter top and bottom.

I suggest take your's apart, and see what design you have so you can order the correct kit.