Blacking out the 1500 / DOOR RUST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireRescue462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
This is my truck I use it for landscaping and plowing (hence the orange light), as well as my personal vehicle. I am begginning to black it out. So far, I have done the bumper, rims, hubs, mirror housings, marker lights, tail lights, and my grill. In case you cant tell though I have terrible rust on my drivers side door and rear wheel wells. Besides get a new door / fender flares, is there anything I could do to cover this up / make it look any better? I also have 10% tint on the truck. Let me know what you think and what I should do next

Attachments

• IMG_4976.jpg
    IMG_4976.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5353.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 75

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Although I am not rocking a 2nd Gen, I would suggest that you check out your sections DIY section for some ideas. I know that we have a thread in the 3rd gen for "mods under $100", you may be able to check there for some ideas, and put your own twists on them to make them work for your truck.

You will find all the help you could possibly want on this forum, some very crafty folks, first person that comes to mind for your gen is DodgeDude, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he or someone else is bombing you with great ideas.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Are you wanting to murder it out completely or black out the stuff that isn't red?

If you're doing the whole truck, either weld in our find someone who can weld in a piece of 18g sheetmetal after cutting out the rust and use body filler, self etching primer, match the paint, and clear it until you can get a full real paint job/body fix

It's fairly cheap to do but there's a ton of instructional vids on YouTube. If I could find someone who could weld in for me I'd do that this summer.

Edit: if you're leaving some red, have you thought about going black on the hood with the center section of it red? I think that would look badass. I just had to share that lol