Body swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heath90zak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Ok so I'm new to the forums so here it goes. Has anyone seen or done a swap involving a 2nd gen and 3rd gen. I've got a 2000 Cummins I just bought and the body is ugly as sin. And I've got my 04 gasser which I've kept very clean with no rust. The gassers motor is shot. Is it possible to swap over the entire body to my 2000 frame. I can fabricate but I figure before I start taking measurements I want see if someone else all ready done it as to save some time.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nobody here has done this. Honestly you're better off checking another place like cumminsforum.com though I doubt anybody there has done this either. Most will just buy a 3rd gen with a cummins or just swap drivetrain.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Yes it has been done. It would be significantly easier to swap the drivetrain.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As far as I know, there is quite a bit of fab work for the body mounts, bed mounts I think are pretty close, but not perfect. At the very base the frames are different, I've seen it done once, but that was a cobbled truck, 98 frame and drivetrain, 03 or 04 cab, and an old utility upfit on the back.

The biggest problem won't be the body mounts but the dash, steering column with its controls for the 2000, pedals (were the gen 3s fly by wire?). You'll have to strip all the wiring harnesses from the 2000 cab and move them into the 04 cab as far as the control modules will go, things like power locks and windows should just be able to be spliced together.

You're asking for trouble dude, I've only ever heard of one, and he had major problems with his due to not having half the wiring harness connected. you're better off selling the 04 and buying an 00-01 with a blown engine or trans or something with a decent body and swapping that.