Body work advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm looking to do some body work on the 'ole girl this summer. Overall, the body is pretty clean for the year (at least around here anyway) but it's certainly seen better days. Since I'm planning on sticking with the truck across the long term, I want to do some "on frame" restoration.

Here's what I want to do. First, I want to scrub up the underside and then undercoat it. Now, I'm really much better at the mechanical side of things. Auto body is a bit of a blur area to me but I can learn quickly. My idea is simply using some scrapers, wire brushes and a lot of elbow grease. I know that powered stuff would be much faster but I'm not sure what the ideal stuff to use would be. Air? Electric?

Then I want to strip the interior of the bed and blop on some good bed liner. What's a good way to go about this? Also, any recommendations on what to use? Aerosol or paint-on?

My vacation is a few months away so I've got plenty of time to figure this stuff out. I figure to see what I can learn from y'all here first.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
On frame is tough, mostly because of the small spaces to work in. Air tools are preferable but you need a powerful air compressor to run the air tools you'll need. Unfortunately, electric tools that are the same size as air tools are 1/5th the power, on a good day. We use die grinders at work that fit in your hand, yet those things are as powerful as the big honking angle grinder electrics when the shop lines are at 180psi.

As for the rest, i'll defer to a higher power than me. I've only ever done frame repair and bondo work.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeret, I'm looking to do similar things with my truck. Clean and coat the undercarage and axels as best I can. Then I plan on Monstalining the bottom 1/3 of the truck and maybe a little under neath of the cab.

I also have rust sports at the usual spots that I need to address (bottom on drive and passenger doors, drive front fender). I think I took care of the rust fairly well on the doors with Chassis Saver, but I still need to take the door panels off and treat the inside.

Question for anyone: does anyone know a good way to treat the inside of the driver front fender above the wheel?

I'm getting a bubble there after removing and treating the outside rust. I think it is rusting through from inside. Was thinking about taking out the PDC under the hood and drilling few holes to dump some rust inhibitor or oil in there. Thoughts?