Brake lights and turn signals stopped working!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbalaahh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Ok so here's the scoop, I have a 94 ram 1500.
The problem that just started today is that when running lights are on both the turn signal lamps and brake lights light up properly. However neither turn signal works when you move the switch inside and the brake lights are non responsive when applying brake. All other functions on turn signal lever work just fine, wipers/ hi beams. And all lights worked fine this morning when I left for work. Just curious if anyone has had this issue before and could maybe give me some direction to go in to avoid the dealer charging me a ridiculous diagnostic fee.
Also I forgot to add it has a fiberglass cap with a 3rd brake light which lights up when applying brakes which is making me even more confused as to why I have no brake lights. It's clearly getting power and bulbs are good so why don't the regular tail lamps work properly?

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Try cleaning where your trailer harness I'm assuming you have plus into your tail lamps underneath the truck. Those damn things get dirt and mud and salt and water and all sorts of crap in there and corrode. Plays hell on the systems.

I had similar issues on mine where with running lights or headlights on, the left taillight would illuminate but wouldn't get brighter when brakes were applied and turn signal wouldn't work. Then the damn thing quit altogether and only brake worked. Sprayed the plugs with electron cleaner and scraped the prongs with a small screwdriver to scratch off the corrosion. Fixed it temporarily. I ended up replacing the entire harness

Last edited:

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Check the fuses [anti skid] is wired in to them [brake lamps] probly not the fuse [due to the third light working] but check it out any way.