Cant get spare tire down!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So ive got a 95 single cab shortbox and I spent today trying to figure out how to get the spare tire down, I know its on the winch system but the fixed tube thing under the truck going from the winch to the bumper is rusted gone.. like 100% gone haha.. I'm at the point where im just gonna take a cutoff wheel to the big wing nut thing till the wheel falls off as the wheels never has to go back up there. but If there any other methods before I do that in the next couple of days??

:favorites13:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Very easy with a cutoff, just did mine because the winch was rusted solid. Make two relief cuts and it will fold in.

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
relief cuts on the wing nut then just fold it down and slide the wheel hub through it?

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea I'll probably just keep cutting till it falls off *****.. the wheel is so rusty and **** it'll probably end up in the trash haha

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, it might surprise you, as long as it holds air, wire brush it and shoot some black paint on it lol

Waste not, want not!

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tube thingy attached to the winch
21jzsdf.jpg

And the final condition of the wingnut
2zyfnmc.jpg

I looked at the spare tire briefly and didnt see any weather cracking or any of the such, I did however hit the rim once or twice with the grinding wheel so I dont know if I'll be strapping that on the truck if needed, might how ever rip the tire off and sell it off for 20$ or something cause hey, 20$ is 20$ ;)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just becauase you dont see weather cracking doesnt mean the tire is safe. Tires should never really be used or kept outside for more than 4-6 years depending on the geographic location, in places like michigan or florida you're looking closer to the 4 year mark where they start becoming a risk, more moderate locations like kentucky are closer to the 6 year mark.

You have to remember, you usually cant see the worst of the tire, right in the bead is usually the worst spot on a tire. Most tires I pull off that are 4+ years old are cracking in the bead, even if the rest of the tire looks fine. If you're not sure of the age, there is a date code on one side of the tire right after the DOT number.

The rim is fine as long as you didn't put a huge gash in it. If you did, just go buy a 16in steel rim from a junkyard and put it on. Just a couple things to note about used rims. Always check the size of a 16in rim with a go/nogo gauge, mounting a 16in tire on a 16.5in rim can kill the person mounting it or anyone else standing beside it when it does explode (the shop should always check with a go/nogo gauge when putting a tire on a 16in rim that came in without a known fitting tire.) If you're unsure any tire shop will have one and check for you. Or you can measure with a flexible tape around the edge of the rim, 16in rim will have a circumference of 50.25in and a 16.5in rim will be 51.8in.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Those spare tire things are always fun, I removed one from my dually when I installed the tow unit, If you need it I have the bar as well as all the bolts to hold it on, just pay for a shipping and its yours.

Also you can obtain them from a salvage yard for usually $30-$40. I had a hard time finding one for my lowered ram a few years ago, but eventually found one.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Honestly I wouldn't even put a tire back up there, there's so much road debris and moisture that gets stuck above the tire that will expedite the cancerous rusting. Just lock a spare in the bed.

Btw, dodgetx, that was a nice gesture you gave him. It's nice to still see some good people left in this world anymore.

Last edited:

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Im not sure how it bolts in on the OBS but i was able to get to the bolts and remove the winch when the AAA guy stripped out the winch. (Before i get fried for not changing my own tire i normally would but i was on a sales call wearing a $900+ suit.) :happy107: That said once i unbolted the winch and had it out of the truck i was able to manually break the winch free and remove the tire.

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
duderam2009 oh I know, I didnt check the manufacturing date or anything on the tire it was just a super fast glance as I was kinda angry once I got it down cause it ended up falling on my hand (I knew it was going to) and left me bleeding haha.

DodgeTx, That's awesome for you to offer i'm really appreciative :) But like sykramman said I'm not even gonna bother putting one back up, its more of a field truck now as i've bought a new (tome) 98 5.2l