Death Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well didnt know what this was till today. And it wasnt fun finding out lol. specially on a freeway bridge in the middle lane. So I did a leveling kit 3" front puck and a 2" rear add a leaf. Nothing else was changed yet. And now the death wobble. It has happened 3 times already. So where to start? what to check? any idea?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get a second person to sit in the truck and turn the wheel side to side. Crawl up under the driver side of your truck and look at the track bar end as the second person is moving the wheel. You should see the ball-joint end moving quiet a bit, may have some play in the bushing in at the axle side of the track-bar as well. They are the number one cause of the death wobble. I would suggest an adjustable track bar for that much of a lift. Don't forget to regularly check your front end joints by jacking up each side of your truck one at a time and sliding a pry-bar, rod, something of length and rigidness under the tire and pulling up on the bar as you hold the upper and lower ball joint to feel for excessive play. After that while it is still jacked up just wiggle the tire side to side and see if you have any play in the steering linkage. Side note, wheels bearings can be checked by wiggling the tire assembly side to side or up and down.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can tell you right now that it was the 3in lift that made the track bar kick the bucket.

Get an adjustable track bar and be happy.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
DD94 nailed it - too much lift on an old stock Track Bar. Get an adjustable just not an OEM replacement or you will be feeling it again when you wear out another OEM bar.

OP
OP
B

brettw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K thanx guys will look for one to get.