getting paint off mag rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
When I bought my truck (used) some dufus decided a detailing job would look better if he painted the mag rims with tire black (or something like it) as it's a very poor paint job, and coming off. so My question is how do I get that paint off safely without ruining the surface of the mags? or do I need to rethink this and not worry bout the surface till I get the paint off, and then have them clear coated or some such? I'd like to either have the original mag surface or paint them myself to match or enhance the trucks appearance.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have a set of steelies i bought from a member on here that the powdercoat is bubbling and there's some rust buildup. Gonna be doing a little bit of sandblasting and muriatic acid bath Saturday. I'll update this when i do

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Getting it sandblasted is probably your best bet. Can't cost too much for just a set of wheels. Then get them powder coated in the color of your choosing. Friend got a set of car wheels done for $150

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
The problem with sandblasting (if you use sand) the surface is left rough, so now you have to polish. I have found a number of you tube videos showing many methods of paint stripping, and then clearcoating so you don't have to polish. and yes new rims (mags) are expensive for 8 lug trucks.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hard to say without knowing what the rim was coated with originally and what is sprayed on it now.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mag wheels will be ****** up by sandblasting i shouldn't have mentioned it. However i would still look at an overnight bath of acetone or muriatic acid solution

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
I Agree, mag rims will be ruined using regular sandblasting ie(sand) however their are other materials that can be used ie baking soda, will remove paint and not mess up surface, it's used to blast fiberglass or older metal that is being refurbished (restored). But, still chemical methods are easier to use and rinse off, and leave the surface ok for repainting (as mag needs to be etched for paint to stick properly) and then clear coated for uv protection, this whoopdie who used tire black, had no clue what he was doing, and no smarts at all. when I redo it, I'll post before and after pics and show you what I mean.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Aluminum and muratic acid usually don't get along well. Start with a small area and try a few solvents on a rag.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Aluminum and muratic acid usually don't get along well. Start with a small area and try a few solvents on a rag.

All aluminum does is slightly discolors, 30 seconds with a rag and polish and you're good.

BTW, the acid doesn't eat powdercoat. I forgot that powdercoat is polymer based and that **** doesn't eat polymers lol

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
well I'm excited, I used airplane paint stripper, it took a number of times to get all the crud off, still don't have every last odd bit of paint, but it's amazing the difference it made, so nice and shiny, I also took the center caps and removed the same lousy black paint, and primered and took glossy black paint and painted them, I will post some pics when the paint dries in a few days, and I reinstall the center caps. I used some mag polish , WOW what a difference. Thanks a bunch for the tips guys. I'm on a VERY slow internet connection so posting pics, may take me some time. as an aside I want to share my excitement with my being able to order a move Bumper, for the front of my truck my brother in law has 25years experience in welding so he's gonna teach me so I can weld my own bumper to fit my truck. yay!!!!!!:naughty::naughty:

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
Here are pics of before i removed black paint and after.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/sgopus1/embed/slideshow/98%20dodge%20truck%20rims"></iframe>
I hope I did this right

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
Just to show new paint removed rims and truck in my signature