Headlight switch swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtdodgeboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
My truck is a 2000 ram 2500. I did a complete swap of the 98.5 24v into this truck. Wiring and all. My headlight switch is shot its the old pull style i want to convert to the new style turn know. I have the new switch and the connectors with pigtails. Is it as simple as matching the same color wire or, is this not possible. to have it function the correct way. If that the case i will just get the new old style switch and a make a relay harness. I am converting to a sport headlamp assembly at the same time. thank you

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its entirely possible. and its not too much work for the installer. The hard part is figuring out which wires splice to which wires in order to get the desired effect. It will take some time for me to write it all out, but i'll include the pinouts for the two connectors.

Let me know if you feel like figuring it out yourself, or if you want me to write something up.

Attachments

• 98 headlamp pinouts.jpg
    98 headlamp pinouts.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 2000 headlamp pinouts.jpg
    2000 headlamp pinouts.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Its entirely possible. and its not too much work for the installer. The hard part is figuring out which wires splice to which wires in order to get the desired effect. It will take some time for me to write it all out, but i'll include the pinouts for the two connectors.

Let me know if you feel like figuring it out yourself, or if you want me to write something up.

Could you write something up? I am interested in doing the same thing in my '98 Ram. I hate the pull style switch with a passion and would far prefer the newer style switch.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Could you write something up? I am interested in doing the same thing in my '98 Ram. I hate the pull style switch with a passion and would far prefer the newer style switch.

Yeah, i'll start tonight but I might not finish on account of having tomorrow off and not needing to go into work with a hangover :roflsquared:

I don't know what the terminals look like on the older switch, so you might not be able to just pop the wires out of the connector and stick them in the new one. You might have to cut and splice.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
First, this is going to be a pain. The 98-99 models are positive switched, the 00-01 are ground switched.

DO NOT just connect the corresponding wires, you might end up with a condition where the 40A fused wire on the 98-99 is shorted directly to ground through the 00-01 headlamp switch.

In order to get the newer switch into the older truck you're going to have to basically rewire part of the headlamp switch harness. The old switch has no ground to it, the new switch has both grounds and fused positive.

Its going to take a couple hours of focus to get this all worked out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vtdodgeboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
That. Would be extremely helpful. And tank you for the pin outs. Much appreciated.

GTCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24V Cummins
Any more info on this would be appreciated. I swapped in a 98.5 24v into my 01 v10. I used complete wiring harness from the cummins it plugged right in to the main plug in cab by pedals. Everything works except, parking lights, dash lights, headlights and taillights. From what I've read with the differences between the two switches I'm thinking I have to splice in the older switch because now I have the older cluster and older wiring harnes to headlights. Any info would be great thanks.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any more info on this would be appreciated. I swapped in a 98.5 24v into my 01 v10. I used complete wiring harness from the cummins it plugged right in to the main plug in cab by pedals. Everything works except, parking lights, dash lights, headlights and taillights. From what I've read with the differences between the two switches I'm thinking I have to splice in the older switch because now I have the older cluster and older wiring harnes to headlights. Any info would be great thanks.
If you want to rewire your headlights its possible