Hood latch broken - how do i open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballanceg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - it's been sitting in the driveway for about 4 years now - was my son's and now mine. I was going to change the battery so I could check it out but the inside hood latch is broken. I can't find the cable inside under the dashboard so I crawled under the front of the truck. I can see the latchs and stuff but hard to get to - scratched up my arm pretty good against the chrome underside reaching up through it. I can push up on a latch but nothing happens. I tried pushing it to the sides, pulling down on it, etc.. and nothing. I can't reach the cable coming into it from the top so I can't pull on it. The grill is part of the hood so I can't remove the grill.

Help!! What can I do to get the hood open so I can get to the battery? I think if I could get the initial release (like the inside hood latch open that is broken) to pop up the hood, I could then open the hood the rest of the way but I'm totally lost right now on what to do. I can't drive it as the battery is dead and I can't get to the battery without opening the hood.....

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So you're saying that you were able to pop the hood but can't get it off the safety latch?
The release is directly in line with the vertical cross bar on the grille.

OP
OP
B

ballanceg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
hood latch

Afraid not.... I can't even pop the hood. I think if I could pop the hood, I could then open it the rest of the way.... the hood latch being broken, I can't figure out how to pop it.

ronbridges34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 litre
Take the grill out. I have an 03 and mine is easy.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Can't remove the grill without opening the hood. No wonder ballanceg gave up on this forum. I have the same problem so I try to find a forum with a solution and sawzall and hammer are the only suggestions. What a waste of time.
So since you are so angry about this. i will offer my advice.

Now this was also done on a 4th gen. So might not be exactly the same.

But when my hood latch was stuck, i had to basically reach up to the latch, and Unbolt it completely from the Radiator support. Then it all fell apart on top of me... But the hood opened. lol

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hatchet