LED Projector headlights, or something not HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Earlier this winter after getting the new engine in my truck I went into a ditch on the edge of a farmer's field. Smashed the headlight mounts to smithereens and did the same to my grill. I'm quite impressed there isn't more damage than there is, I smashed through 2 1/2 inches of ice into 3 feet of water.

I've been thinking of replacing my fogged up headlights for awhile now but i've had no real reason. Now that I do, i'm looking around for some decent projector lights that are sport compatible preferably(dual bulbs). I'd really like to go with LEDs because I really don't like HIDs and unless there are some nice Halogen versions out there as that would be best, LEDs is the only way to go and get something that looks nice.

I can just go and try some myself, but i'd like to hear from some more experienced members who've already replaced their headlights.

thatsbs10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Earlier this winter after getting the new engine in my truck I went into a ditch on the edge of a farmer's field. Smashed the headlight mounts to smithereens and did the same to my grill. I'm quite impressed there isn't more damage than there is, I smashed through 2 1/2 inches of ice into 3 feet of water.

I've been thinking of replacing my fogged up headlights for awhile now but i've had no real reason. Now that I do, i'm looking around for some decent projector lights that are sport compatible preferably(dual bulbs). I'd really like to go with LEDs because I really don't like HIDs and unless there are some nice Halogen versions out there as that would be best, LEDs is the only way to go and get something that looks nice.

I can just go and try some myself, but i'd like to hear from some more experienced members who've already replaced their headlights.
I recently picked up a pair of the spec D projector headlight units, with projectors and halos off of Craigslist. I'm going to be honest, they definitely feel cheap, but look sweet and I got them for the right price. I wouldn't say they are the brightest but definitely aren't bad, the light is much more concentrated than stock. I'm thinking of doing an LED bulb conversion in it to help it out in the future. 20170228_130259.jpg

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The problem with LED and the reason i pretty much generally recommend HID over LED is pattern characteristics and color. LED simply don't have the reach of HIDs or halogens. They measure as brighter most times yeah but that doesn't mean much if you can't get it out there. GRANTED going into a projector, even the cheap pre-made ones mentioned that are meant for halogens, do focus the light better than regular reflectors. My 2nd gripe about bulb color is that they're too high in the Kelvin range and begin to lose effectiveness. You won't find an LED less than 6000k where they start becoming blue-ish almost. Your lower ranges line 4300-5000 are where your best mix of good white color, weather cutting capability and max output lies.

Regardless, if you're looking you do this still, i prefer Spyder or Anzo over SpecD. Any one if those 3 you'll need H1 bulbs you replace the halogens they come with. Do not buy the ones with HIDs pre-installed. I THINK Spyder makes one with 2 sockets for the sport models but i can't recall for sure.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The problem with LED and the reason i pretty much generally recommend HID over LED is pattern characteristics and color. LED simply don't have the reach of HIDs or halogens. They measure as brighter most times yeah but that doesn't mean much if you can't get it out there. GRANTED going into a projector, even the cheap pre-made ones mentioned that are meant for halogens, do focus the light better than regular reflectors. My 2nd gripe about bulb color is that they're too high in the Kelvin range and begin to lose effectiveness. You won't find an LED less than 6000k where they start becoming blue-ish almost. Your lower ranges line 4300-5000 are where your best mix of good white color, weather cutting capability and max output lies.

Regardless, if you're looking you do this still, i prefer Spyder or Anzo over SpecD. Any one if those 3 you'll need H1 bulbs you replace the halogens they come with. Do not buy the ones with HIDs pre-installed. I THINK Spyder makes one with 2 sockets for the sport models but i can't recall for sure.

I agree for the most part about LEDs. I hate blue light, but the ones I have are close enough to white (6K) that I don't mind it. Honestly, if I could get my hands on the 5K LEDs that i'm seeing in the 2016+ model vehicles at work i'd be golden.

My main problem with HIDs is the warmup time on most models after using the high beams for a few minutes or more. I've used them before and hated it so much I went back to Halogens. My buddy got the Bi-xeon HIDs and they break all the time, at 40 per bulb, in two years he could've bought brand new headlight assemblies.

Like I said, if you know of any good looking decent quality high output halogen lights, i'd jump all over those (I kind of like the halo look). The LEDs and electronically driven HIDs drive me insane due to requiring load resistors to not cause problems.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I like the Philips ExtremeVision halogens or for HIDs i like the Morimoto systems. I run a 6500k 50w Morimoto HID harness and bulbs. Almost 2 years now no issues.

You could run an HID in the projector like i have then an LED in the high beam. My HIDs are fully warmed up within 30 seconds but are nearly max power within 10 seconds. My high beam comes from not the bulb intensifying but the projector having a cover that drops away to reveal all of the available light. The aftermarket headlights with projectors don't feature this but you pair an LED into the high beam bucket for instant gratification when you hit em and you'd have a pretty effective setup that takes advantage of both bulb types.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like the Philips ExtremeVision halogens or for HIDs i like the Morimoto systems. I run a 6500k 50w Morimoto HID harness and bulbs. Almost 2 years now no issues.

You could run an HID in the projector like i have then an LED in the high beam. My HIDs are fully warmed up within 30 seconds but are nearly max power within 10 seconds. My high beam comes from not the bulb intensifying but the projector having a cover that drops away to reveal all of the available light. The aftermarket headlights with projectors don't feature this but you pair an LED into the high beam bucket for instant gratification when you hit em and you'd have a pretty effective setup that takes advantage of both bulb types.

Before I went with my setup I debated on trying to make a set of projectors like you did. I came to the conclusion that I just don't have the patients, money, and time all at the same time. Otherwise I would have went with your setup. :happy107:

richterat83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Proper HID Projectors and bulbs are worth it if you're concerned at all about improving light output. I've done Morimoto projectors on every vehicle i've owned (except the the wife's current GTI because the lights are shockingly good stock, but that's besides the point). I've got a set of clear headlights and some morimoto projectors just waiting for me to find the time. If you're going to do it, do it once and do it right.