powder coating durability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
What do people think of how durable powder coating should be, I've heard it's more durable than paint, but after I got my bumper done (powder coated) it was easily scratched , it appears to be scratched as easy as regular paint, so why do powder coating?
it got scratched by me repositioning it while on a rubber mat (to keep it from getting scratched) for mounting on the truck, just rubbing it on the mat scratched the coating, it should be harder than that. in my opinion.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As with paint, it's not a hardness issue so much as a thickness issue. It will scratch but the key is to get a good topcoat of clear which will be easy to buff.

I powdercoated the wheels on my car 8 years ago and they still look awesome. They took a few dings but were easily cleaned up as I have a 3mm thick layer of clear over the entire wheel.

Day4PicXIII.jpg

Day4PicXII.jpg

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As in paint, quality of the job done is key... and as Maddog mentioned the clear topcoat.

I have powdercoated many of suspension parts, axles etc etc and then put them through the ringer in the fields... Note I didn't do it for looks as much as I did for ease of cleaning. Never had a issue with them scratching, but the coating did look "heavy" in comparison to paint if that makes any sense

OP
OP
S

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
This coating doesn't look heavy or thick, looks like a good paint sprayer job with regular paint. and like I said easily scratched, and or rubbed off. I did call the company that did it, and they said when you get a chance bring it back and we will see what we can do, I did express my disapointment with how easily it got scratched, we will see what they want to dom when I get the chance to bring it back.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The big thing is it doesn't fade like paint and when it does take an impact it doesn't crack and chip off. You can quite literally powder coat aluminum foil and crinkle it up and it won't change the coverage it finish unless you scratch it in the process

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
In my experience with powder coating (actually doing the coating) surface prep is 90% of the work. Just like paint it needs somthing to grab on to. I would not expect powder coat to stick to our chrome bumpers as well without some roughing up.

The surface also needs to be very clean.