Question on Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoreyLRam96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been wondering for a while now if a 1996 Ram 1500 would look good with a Front bumper winch, it's a 2WD so that is what has been preventing me from buying it just because I know it's more for looks then actually pulling someone out of mud. Anyways, would you guys care to give your opinion on if I should get one or not? All feed back is appreciated! :naughty:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
A good winch can make a 2wd more capable than a 4wd pending there are trees around. It's also handy to not have to carry a chain or tow strap in the event of a sticky situation ;)

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2wd with a winch can actually get around really well with the right set-up! Just remember to get one with a working load limit twice that of truck IIRC.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Whatever your truck weighs loaded x 1.5 is the minimum. Doesn't hurt to go bigger because you only get the full power on the last layer of line.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Whatever your truck weighs loaded x 1.5 is the minimum. Doesn't hurt to go bigger because you only get the full power on the last layer of line.

You mean first layer, right? Last layer is most speed and least power. I recommend going with 12,000 lb for gas truck. Stuff doesn't get as hot if you run it at a lower % of capacity. Typically cooler operation with electrical equals better longevity.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
You mean first layer, right? Last layer is most speed and least power. I recommend going with 12,000 lb for gas truck. Stuff doesn't get as hot if you run it at a lower % of capacity. Typically cooler operation with electrical equals better longevity.

I meant last layer on the drum if you were to spool out :p