Rear drum??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max10101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys im new to this for but yesterday on my way to work my truck made this whining noise that got louder with speed and it came out of no where. Well i dont think its the diff but it could be. The noise would go away for the most part when i let off the throttle and i could feel some vibration. As the day went on i went home and it stopped for a while at speeds between 25-40 and then a few miles from home it mad a crazy whirring noise from what sounded like the passenger rear wheel so it leads me to it being a bad drum or wheel bearing hub assembley. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

OP
OP
M

Max10101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should add

01 ram 1500 5.2 148000 4wd

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Guess you will have to take the wheel and drum off to check.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi guys im new to this for but yesterday on my way to work my truck made this whining noise that got louder with speed and it came out of no where. Well i dont think its the diff but it could be. The noise would go away for the most part when i let off the throttle and i could feel some vibration. As the day went on i went home and it stopped for a while at speeds between 25-40 and then a few miles from home it mad a crazy whirring noise from what sounded like the passenger rear wheel so it leads me to it being a bad drum or wheel bearing hub assembley. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Jack the front of your truck up and spin the wheels. See if you can hear it or feel any grinding. Also going to need to remove the rear wheels and inspect the drums.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If memory serves me right.. sounds like a pinion bearing.. hope I'm wrong though. I suggest doing what John said though. Probably your best bet at further diagnosis

OP
OP
M

Max10101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad news

So it ended up being the pinion bearing and as far as i know it could be the pinion gear and ring but i doubt it. But ill be fixing it tommorow

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So it ended up being the pinion bearing and as far as i know it could be the pinion gear and ring but i doubt it. But ill be fixing it tommorow
Hope you know what you're doing. That's a really complicated job, being that you'll have to set up your entire rear end again. Remember new crush sleeve and pinion nut

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you know what you're doing. That's a really complicated job, being that you'll have to set up your entire rear end again. Remember new crush sleeve and pinion nut

^++++++++++ 1. Coming from someone who is going to completely tear down their rear end again because of a ****** pinion depth and bearing pre load set up, I cannot agree enough. If you've done one of these differentials before and are confident then go ahead. Otherwise, take your time in researching and follow the fsm TO THE T!!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Max10101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well crap

So good news the pinion gear\ring are good however the pinion bearing is bad and metal shavings made their way to the diff bearings and axel bearings so better safe than sorry and do it so it doesnt all break