Rounded off lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you guys reccomend? Went to take my wheel off today to fix my hub and 3 of 5 of the lug nuts are rounded.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Id say get one them sockets made to grab rounded bolts with a breaker bar. Then replace. Also use a penetrating oil top put less stress on it

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id say get one them sockets made to grab rounded bolts with a breaker bar. Then replace. Also use a penetrating oil top put less stress on it

Well id do that bit in my oppinion drill bits are cheaper i decided to drill them out its a ******* pain but im getting there slowly but surely. Seeing as im getting new studs with the hub i decided this was the most cost effective option, and yes pb blaster is in the box i keep in my truck, i literally dont leave home without it. Although i dont do much home leaving lately anyways. I really didnt want to do that but i got laid off today so i'm going home and the sooner the better.

newrammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 magnum
Break out the drill and blowtorch! Seriously though I've done it with a drill before on my old truck but what peppy said makes it sooooo much easier.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself a set of the proper sockets to remove them and it will only take a few min. How do you do it with a drill? Just go at em until there is nothing left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself a set of the proper sockets to remove them and it will only take a few min. How do you do it with a drill? Just go at em until there is nothing left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just completely remove the stud via drill takes forever but i'll go through 3 drill bits or so doing this so itll cost me less than 10 bucks and more of my time. Look up i don't have a job anymore so ive got to split pennies. Set of those sockets would run 45 bucks or so.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just completely remove the stud via drill takes forever but i'll go through 3 drill bits or so doing this so itll cost me less than 10 bucks and more of my time. Look up i don't have a job anymore so ive got to split pennies. Set of those sockets would run 45 bucks or so.

I got a set that'll run up to 19mm for $12 at Oreillys. Decent set too.

Sorry to hear about that tho.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The other ways of doing it for cheap as pounding on a socket that's just barely to small and forcing it on. But your sacrificing that socket and lug nut in the process. Or if you have access to a welder, weld something to the lug but that will allow you to take the nut off. But not everyone has a welder in their garage

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As posted get a smaller mm socket, just need one not a full set. One socket will do the job just fine on need for three, you will have to pound the nut out of the socket mind you and thats not hard at all.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got em off but stuck here again till monday i want to be gone right now but here i am.