Shocks for a "heavy" front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been looking into some front-end replacement bumpers for my truck and am looking into getting one in the (hopefully) near future because I've had too many close encounters with deer around here and I still look back on that time when I actually did hit one and was lucky enough to get away with only a busted headlight. Many of these replacements are pretty sweet and weight near or over 200 pounds.

My question is what would be a good choice of shock to use with 200 lbs of weight hanging off the nose? I'm gonna need new shocks in the near future anyway but I want to plan ahead and get something that will hold up well to a bunch of extra weight.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Shocks just control the speed the suspension travels. You need stiffer springs for more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Shocks just control the speed the suspension travels. You need stiffer springs for more weight.

Edit: if you want the ride to be the same, you order springs 200# heavier (or the weight difference between stock bumper and your new one).

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, with an extra 200 pounds hanging off the nose the suspension is gonna travel a lot faster with OEM-spec shocks, LOL and that's what I want to prevent.

But I see your point. I'll take a look around for stiffer springs as well as "heavier" shocks. They both gotta work together after all.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The shock really won't travel faster because the heavier spring is holding the weight and the compression distance over time is the same. The heavier spring will compress at the same rate with the extra weight. If you are lifting your truck, THEN you need a re-valved shock that travels faster i.e. a greater distance in the same time

Hope that makes sense. Suspension shops would GLADLY upswell you on the shocks using that reasoning! ;)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Sbarron is right, you'll be fine with stock type shocks, the only reason to change is as mentioned if you lift it, or if you desire/require different ride characteristics.

As for springs, unless you goto a dedicated suspension shop, I don't think you'll be able to get slightly stiffer springs. I've only seen the standard V6/8 and the stiffer v10/Cummins sets.

If you want to see how it will ride with the new bumper, then get someone who weighs about 160-200lbs to sit on the edge of the hood. You can also guess the old bumper weighs about 20-40lbs. That should give you a rough idea.

One idea might be to check out coil springs for the v6/8 that plow kits use.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, my sister's bo weighs north of 200. Maybe the next time he's out for a barbecue, I'll feed him a bottle of Jack and get him to sit on the hood while I tear ass down the gravel. I mean, he's probably not gonna go for it but who knows, right? I got plenty of bungee cords and bailing twine. :p

I'll just ask the obvious then. Will the stock suspension as it is hold up fine to the extra weight? Let's factor in occasional off-roading which would include the occasional pothole/rut that might get nailed at high speed because my possibly-drunken ass might not spot it in time, LOL.

Last edited:

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I fitted my bull bar/side rails the front dropped an inch and a half. The ride was a bit harsh. I fitted some Dobinson +100kg front springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. Much better ride and back to a bit above standard height.

5054ff122482fff5ac8c14ba23b4e582.jpg
dca0dad6d6dc81e1d7e9f1b88adae599.jpg

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I fitted my bull bar/side rails the front dropped an inch and a half. The ride was a bit harsh. I fitted some Dobinson +100kg front springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. Much better ride and back to a bit above standard height.

Probably a great combination for the OP.

The 5100's will ride better and be more durable than the OEM shocks especially under "spirited" driving.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That bumper is slick!

Also, I'd just slap some V10 springs in it and see what she do.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360

5054ff122482fff5ac8c14ba23b4e582.jpg
dca0dad6d6dc81e1d7e9f1b88adae599.jpg

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind, you had the v10/Cummins springs to begin with. Just putting your old ones in his truck would lift it as much as your new springs did in your truck. I dare say the springs you have now would be too much for his truck, the shocks however would be fine so long as the length is correct.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Having run both front and rear big steel bumpers on these trucks, don't bother. Not enough difference honestly to warrant it. Actually rides better with em