so ive made my decision....2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
so i have finally made the decision. im gonna buy a RCSB 4wd ram with a decent frame. hopefully just a roller or maybe one with a blown motor. gonna do a body swap from my 2wd frame onto the 4wd frame. and swap all of my parts out. does anyone see any major complications with this? im just gonna swap motors and bodies keeping the 4wd tranny and such from the donor truck.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Nope I see two solid day's work of R&R (remove & replace). You ready to cut a hole in your floor?

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Nope I see two solid day's work of R&R (remove & replace). You ready to cut a hole in your floor?

ive already cut holes in my roof for my visor to bolt onto. not scared to cut a hole in my floor lol.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Good luck but I wouldn't want to do it lol I was going to do it with my grand cherokee a couple years ago but when I started looking at it I just thought it wasnt worth it so I got my ram instead and that was my best decision! lol

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Good luck but I wouldn't want to do it lol I was going to do it with my grand cherokee a couple years ago but when I started looking at it I just thought it wasnt worth it so I got my ram instead and that was my best decision! lol

my original thought was that a 2wd with some good tires would be okay in the iowa winter but i was wrong! i cant afford a whole new truck (a good clean one) and id take a $10000 hit selling this one, so a body swap is my best option i think.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
i have Cooper Discoverer ATR's now.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
before this i had BFG all terrains, they werent any better lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Park the yellow truck and buy a winter beater 4wd truck, make is irelavent. You are not increasing the yellow trucks value by making it a 4wd if anything it might just go down. I have done a lot of body swaps its no small job.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
i could never drive a boring truck man! if i found a winter beater it would be old and beat up hence the "beater". plus i have nowhere to store another truck and i dont need another to maintain. im gonna keep the banana for a long time so it may as well be 4wd. and everything i have done to it has decreased its value!

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
If I were you id just sell the truck and make some money to put towards a 4x4. The conversion seams easy on paper but once you start tearing into it you might find that you forgot about something or something wont work. Plus on top of that, your truck will be out of commission for however long. I mean its your call but just calculate all the risks before doing so.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Get a set of tires that have a snowflake inside of a mountain on the side (which are actual winter tires and not all season) and you'll get better snow performance

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Get a set of tires that have a snowflake inside of a mountain on the side (which are actual winter tires and not all season) and you'll get better snow performance

Been suggested by a few in another thread of his, along with adding weight and adding a LSD.

You're 100% right though proper winter rated tires is going to go a long way. A whole lot cheaper and easier than doing a body swap. But it's his truck and his $$$.

Edit; We live up in the mountain range in Sicamous BC, 80% of the stuff on the road is 2wd and they get around just fine up here as long as they have the right tire and drive accordingly to match the road conditions.

Last edited:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
before this i had BFG all terrains, they werent any better lol

Worst tires Ive ever used in the snow! Buy your self a set of real snow tires.... you will be amazed at the difference. I did that with my 2wd Dakota with no weight in the back, never got stuck once. The right tire makes the difference. Of course if you do go through with this body swap be sure to keep us updated the whole way through!

edit: LOL just seen DD94 already posted my opinion of them :rofl:

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Winter tires, no weight (all it does it make it harder to stop), and put a set of z-chains under the seat for emergency purposes. If you are partial to Cooper tires, they make a Discoverer M+S tire that is a highly rated winter tire.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
33 years of driving in Canadian winters and I have never used weight in the back, never will. Putting weight in the back take's weight off the front tires I want as much weight up front as I can get.

If you do the body swap it would be nice if you made a diy for the forum as it is a lot of work.