Tube Bumper/ Steel Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CocaineCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9 360
I own a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. It's mostly stock, apart from what I believe is a 2 1/2'' lift done by a previous owner. I'm looking to make some tube bumpers for the truck front and rear, along with some rock sliders. I don't have a whole lot of experience welding, grinding, or designing anything with metal. I have at my disposal as of this time approx. 35 ft of 2'' steel tubing, approx. 5 ft of flat stock steel 1/8'' thick, some with bends (they sued to be power boxes). I'm looking to build a bumper for the front and rear that will give me more protection, allow for a winch (at a later time) and give me better approach and departure angles. My father has a cheap Harbor Freight 220 amp welder he said he will lend me for the project. But, I don't know where to start. For one thing, I don't know if 1/8'' flat stock is strong enough for offroad use (most of the offroad venues in the area include mud, dirt, sand, hills, rocks, etc.). Design is another thing I had questions about. My original thoughts were to reuse the inner bumper structure of the old bumper and simply weld a few bent tubes to that, but it would look pretty bad and not be as strong as I thought. My current thought is to have 2 bars follow the original shape of the bumper, but stick out a few inches farther (to clear winch and hood) and be raised slightly higher up (better approach) and then create a top bar equal with the hood as a sort of protection for the radiator. The problem with that is I'm not sure I'll have enough tubing to make it work. Any tips or ideas would be great. (I'm ditching the original bumpers because they are mangled from an accident before I got the truck.)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Model it similarly to the ranch hand. Leaves a good platform for a winch and a good approach angle
20160912_191933.jpg

OP
OP
C

CocaineCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9 360
Thanks for the tips. Plan on starting soon on the project (work 2 jobs, go to school, so I don't have lots of spare time). Do you think that 1/8in plate is strong enough for things such as winch mounts, skidplates, or tow points?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Thanks for the tips. Plan on starting soon on the project (work 2 jobs, go to school, so I don't have lots of spare time). Do you think that 1/8in plate is strong enough for things such as winch mounts, skidplates, or tow points?

no way. 1/4 for winch mounting is standard. you can buy 3/4 weld on shackle tabs for cheap so that's no issue. i'd do 3/16 for skids

OP
OP
C

CocaineCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9 360
Ok, that answers that, I'll have to pool some cash to get sheet steel for it, but that can be put on after I finish the tubing. Thanks for the advice. (Off topic, looking at your Fuelly pic, how are you getting 11.5 mpg? I've got smaller tires than you and am only managing 8 mpg on a good day!)