Welding in new rocker panels and cab corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mok4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Living in Michigan sucks, road salt everywhere, and the truck i just picked up is surely feeling the wrath of it. The rocker panel on my driver side needs to be redone front to back, and my passenger side needs a section done, as well as my cab corner on the passenger side. I plan on using my dad's welder, it is not high quality, it was picked up at harbor freight (brand is Chicago Electric) and it is a flux cored welder (90 Amp-AC, 120 Volt, Flux Cored Welder)

My question is, will this welder work for this application? or should i seek a different welding route...

1999 Ram 1500 quad cab.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Living in Michigan sucks, road salt everywhere, and the truck i just picked up is surely feeling the wrath of it. The rocker panel on my driver side needs to be redone front to back, and my passenger side needs a section done, as well as my cab corner on the passenger side. I plan on using my dad's welder, it is not high quality, it was picked up at harbor freight (brand is Chicago Electric) and it is a flux cored welder (90 Amp-AC, 120 Volt, Flux Cored Welder)

My question is, will this welder work for this application? or should i seek a different welding route...

1999 Ram 1500 quad cab.

It will take awhile but you should def be able to do it. You will have to spot weld and slowly build up until its little gaps that you can do but it can do it.
Its actually the same one I was looking at getting. Great reviews. It's rated for 18-3/16s IIRC and most use 20g when welding in sheetmetal and most replacement panels are as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01